• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sore Throat, mouth sores, chest discomfort...

Idie

I am seeking some advice on what may be causing a sore throat, canker sores and chest discomfort. This happens when I'm not real consistent on B12 injections and folate. I still take the B12 several times a week but it feels like I needs injections nearly every day. Once I get the consistency back, it takes several days to weeks to subside and I'm not sure whether it is low folate or low b12 or both. It feels like it is low B12 that causes this but from reading Freddd's symptom list it sounds like low folate. What is most interesting is that these are not the symptoms I had when I found out I had methylation issues (low B12). I have been using Methyl b12 for 6 years and it has turned many things around. The sore throat, canker sores, and chest discomfort are new and repeatable.

Any thoughts?

Martial

Maybe its a different vitamin or mineral deficiency? Methylation drives up the need for other vitamins and minerals that can be hard to keep up with sometimes.

rosie26

It sounds like your body is missing the B12 higher doses. You might have to go down slower when decreasing doses? I find when I stop taking magnesium powder for 4-5 days I feel like I am having more symptoms than the symptoms I had in the first place.

Critterina

@Idie ,
If, like me, you are +/+ for the MTRR A2756G mutation, increasing your B12 increases your demand for folate, or depletes your reserve of folate, however you want to look at it. So taking B12 can lower folate. The symptoms you describe are all epithelial cells, which Freddd says are sensitive to low folate, so it could be. But why when you stop BOTH, you run into deficiency? I don't know. Of course, it may be other vitamins or minerals, as @Marital says, also.

Idie

Critterina,

You might be right. I stopped everything for a few days and the sore throat, etc. went away. I started back on B-12 today because I was starting to get tingling in my shoulder area which I know (for me) is a sign my B12 is low. Sometime, this whole thing is so hard to figure out.

@Critterina - did you by chance mean +/+ MTRR A66G? I ask because in your signature it says +/- MTR A2756G, and I'm +/+ MTRR A66G and +/- MTR A2756G so I just want to be sure and understand what you're saying about increase folate demands with increase B12. Thanks!

Critterina

@Critterina - did you by chance mean +/+ MTRR A66G? I ask because in your signature it says +/- MTR A2756G, and I'm +/+ MTRR A66G and +/- MTR A2756G so I just want to be sure and understand what you're saying about increase folate demands with increase B12. Thanks!
OOPS! :oops: Yes, you are right. It's the MTRR A66G that is the one that makes you need methylfolate. I understand that the MTR A2756G might just make it worse, but the basic problem lies in the MTRR. I'm +/+ MTRR A66G and +/- MTR A2756G just like you. I need to stop typing in my sleep! :sleep::sleep::sleep::oops: