Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sonya Chowdhury in shock public defence of ME as a biomedical condition ;)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Oct 10, 2016.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Cookies for Tired Sam

Story on AfME website - https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news...nds-to-comments-that-m.e.-is-‘psychosomatic’/

Link to comment on BMJ website - http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i5053/rapid-responses

2. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    She does that from time to time. When things get tough she tends not to frighten the horses though.

As regards the comment, the gain that patients are seeking is to not be put through ineffective and damaging treatments, like the evil shits that we are.

3. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I noticed this comment in the BMJ rapid response section:

Yes, because the only possible motive in having it clearly defined as a biomedical condition is so that these people who claim to have ME can get access to benefits. This degree of ignorance is staggering. It isn't difficult to read the odd journal every now and again to see if your beliefs are actually corroborated by evidence.

Izola, taniaaust1, Solstice and 6 others like this.
  4. AndyPR

AndyPR Cookies for Tired Sam

That was the one she was replying to.

5. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I missed that aspect because I was all tied up with my keyboard rage.

Izola, moosie, Solstice and 3 others like this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Like the BPS crowd she is so eager to collaborate with don't believe it's all in the mind. Bizarre.

7. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

CANADA
    Yet another reason to refer to Canada as the "Dark North" with respect to attitudes towards ME. I am ashamed.

"Dr Jordan, a medical doctor from Edmonton, Canada, posted his comment . . .

The action taken against the researchers appears to be a continued attempt to justify the condition as a disease entity, thereby creating an environment in which some form of personal gain may be achieved. Whether that gain is in the form of a financial incentive or to manipulate the research findings as a way of placing some distance between a possible underlying mental health or psychosomatic illness and a true physical illness is unknown. It obviously helps satisfy alleged sufferers to hear that it is not all in their head and that what symptoms are experienced must be seen as real and part of a real disease process.”

May I suggest we click to support Sonya's rebuttal here: http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i5053/rapid-responses
    So far, she's slightly ahead of Dr. Jordan in "Likes".

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Mel9, taniaaust1 and Luther Blissett like this.
  8. JohnCB

JohnCB MEow

England
    Hmm, I linked from here to AFME and from there I linked in to BMJ. I read the responses and clicked on like on several of these responses at BMJ. Specifically I clicked like on Sonya Chowdhury's response and I saw the counter change from 16 to 17. Then I refreshed the BMJ page and that same counter had now gone down to 14. Seems odd.

9. worldbackwards

Earth
    The Shorter Cuckoos

[​IMG]

Luther Blissett likes this.
  10. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    That's wonderful, taking one pot-shot at an easy target on a relatively obscure corner of the internet, then making sure we all know about it by praising herself on the AfME website. Many PR members and advocates like Jonathan Edwards and Tom Kindlon and many others write excellent comments all the time without making a big song and dance about it, why's she getting the flags out?

Is she implying that there is such a thing as "the medical support ... they desperately need" which we could access under the right circumstances? What support would that be, GET and CBT?

I find her comment equivocal, and suspect it's a cynical attempt to earn a few brownie points given the current MEGA situation. How about a full page article in the Guardian including an unequivocal repudiation of PACE and an apology to ME sufferers?

11. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

It is all an act of PR (and I don't mean phoenix rising)!

12. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It sends a clear message, but not the one that was intended.

Yogi, Luther Blissett and Daisymay like this.
  13. Jan

Jan Senior Member

Devon UK
    She could have at least attached some research links. I can't like her comment, I tried, but it all seems too self serving and it was nowhere forceful enough. I have liked the good comments.

14. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    Dr. Jordan sounds like the grumpier version of the CIHR reviewer.

Also, "alleged sufferers"?!?! o_O

I mean, even supposing that ME/CFS is a psychological disorder, what kind of doctor would say something like that?

It would be interesting to hear from Dr. Jordan's patients concerning what he could mean by "an insight not always available to others", which is allegedly provided by his experience with managing ME/CFS? (Or is Dr. Jordan an "alleged sufferer" himself, perhaps? The letter isn't particularly clearly written...)

Solstice, justy and Luther Blissett like this.
  15. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    The BPS crowd have no problem saying "of course it's not all in your head, of course it's a real illness", whilst simultaneously crossing their fingers behind their backs and muttering under their breath out of the corner of their mouths "perpetuated by fear of exercise and false beliefs, for which we have just the treatments".

SC just omitted the second part, in the hope that it would please sufferers without going against anything her BPS buddies believe.

Then a sentence about stigmatisation, blah blah ...

actup, moosie, Solstice and 7 others like this.
  16. worldbackwards

Earth
    I'm reminded of White's "sufferers claim that symptoms worsen after exertion..." type thing.

actup, taniaaust1 and Luther Blissett like this.
  17. Glycon

ON, Canada
    It is actually worse than White & co. In fact, I am shocked that a real doctor who works with cases of ME/CFS would say something like that in print.

Merits further investigation, in my opinion...

18. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

CANADA
    Although I can't say with absolute certainty that I've found the "Rate MDs" profile for the doctor who posted the opinion in question, there is only one Dr. Tim Jordan registered with the Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons. Here's a link to what a few of his patients had to say about him:

https://www.ratemds.com/doctor-ratings/3573319/Dr-Tim-Jordan-Grande Prairie-AB.html

Scroll down to mid-page -- two One Star ratings out of Five!

actup, Mel9, Luther Blissett and 2 others like this.
  19. Glycon

ON, Canada
    Boy, now I REALLY want to hear from Dr. Jordan's ME/CFS patients!
    Yep, sounds just like the kind of person who would have written that letter!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Woolie, Mel9, Solstice and 3 others like this.
  20. Glycon

ON, Canada
    Dr. Timothy Jordan, ladies and gentlemen!

October 2007:
    May 2010:
    My initial hunch was right! Dr. Jordan is EXACTLY the kind of person who would accuse the chronically sick of trying to weasel their way into disability benefits for their "alleged suffering"!

actup, Woolie, Solstice and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.