• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Something really good from the UK

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, Alex. I had been thinking over the last few days that if anything was an effective public answer to the PACE trial, Lynn Gilderdale's case was it. I don't think that anyone who had seen the film footage of her could believe that CBT or GET could have a snowball's chance in hell of helping her. Although, of course, a lot of the public seemed to believe that her condition couldn't be ME - they're not used to being taken behind the curtain and seeing patients who are so sick they're hidden away at home.

Enid

Thanks Alex, Is it possible the UK are on the move at last. Beginning to turn "the tanker round" - what good news.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Panorama film about Lynn Gilderdale wins Medical Journalists’ Association award for production company:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=4767

Its way past time for more good news from the UK, and here is is!

Bye,
Alex

Not really good news IMHO. The programme concentrated almost entirely on the issue of assisted-suicide, which is a media-friendly issue. ME sadly is not. There were some good bits in there, but not nearly enough coverage of why Lynn was left to rot until the point where she felt she had no choice but to take her own life.

Angela Kennedy

Not really good news IMHO. The programme concentrated almost entirely on the issue of assisted-suicide, which is a media-friendly issue. ME sadly is not. There were some good bits in there, but not nearly enough coverage of why Lynn was left to rot until the point where she felt she had no choice but to take her own life.

Yes, I agree. And there won't be.

alex3619

Hi garcia, I do get your point. I have not seen the full documentary. It is also not good news for the family involved. It is however a step in the right direction, and is clearly counter to the perception that ME/CFS is just a minor illness that we can shrug off with a little therapy and exercise. Bye, Alex

Thanks for posting this. Lynn was one of my best friends, and I know she would be pleased with this although like others said, it wasn't really an insight into her extreme suffering with ME which led her to take her own life. A book her Mum has written is due out soon if anyone is interested I can try and find it on Amazon (sorry if this has already been said, I'm new here!).

Bob

Thanks for posting this. Lynn was one of my best friends, and I know she would be pleased with this although like others said, it wasn't really an insight into her extreme suffering with ME which led her to take her own life. A book her Mum has written is due out soon if anyone is interested I can try and find it on Amazon (sorry if this has already been said, I'm new here!).

Hi TaintedLuv...
Thanks for sharing that with us.
A very big welcome to the forum to you.
Lynn's suffering was so tragic, and her mother is so brave.
Lynn's story was very sad to read about, and you must miss such a lovely friend very much.
Yes please, could you let us know the details of the book, and post a link to it?
It's great to have you with us on the forum,
Bob

SilverbladeTE

I get so mad every time I see an article on the news or print about ME that shows some perosn yanwing over a desk or beutiful person sleeping...which is, IMHO, deliberate misinformation.
they should use Lyn's picture instead to show the reality for some of us :/

meadowlark

TaintedLuv, I am deeply sorry that you lost your friend, and that she lost her health in such a terrible way. The Gilderdale story is key to many of us here. You must have treasured her. It's an honour to have you here.

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Hi TaintedLuv, I very much echo the sentiments others have expressed above. Lynn has had a very big impact on so many of us, although we never met her. Thank you for posting here.
Welcome to the forum.