New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Someone has tried this 2LEBV?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by eric_gladiator, Nov 8, 2017.

1. rodgergrummidge

rodgergrummidge Senior Member

Thanks so much @Learner1 ! Very much appreciated.

I couldnt open the 'deficent EBV response.PDF' file and it indicated that it had 0 bytes. Could you re-upload?

Rodger

2. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    @rodgergrummidge No problem. I just reuploaded it and I think it should work now.

3. rodgergrummidge

rodgergrummidge Senior Member

Thanks again @Learner1 , I could now download the deficient EBV response.PDF paper you posted. I'll have a read over.

Also, I had a look over the Montoya paper that you posted (Journal of Medical Virology 85:2101–2109 2013).

The results seem somewhat odd in terms of the theory of chronic viral infection.

The authors' main inclusion criteria for CFS patients with 'chronic viral infection' was high Ab titres to HHV or EBV. Thus, if the antiviral treatment reduced (or cleared) the chronic viral infection, then, by their own diagnostic criteria, the Ab titres to the viruses should be reduced, particularly at the longer end-points (eg 48 weeks). Yet, while the antiviral treatment reduced subjective CFS symptoms, it had no significant effect on any Ab titres. Strange?

Another biomarker that could indicate that the antiviral treatment reduced the chronic viral infection might be a reduction in proinflammatory cytokines. However, such changes, if they occurred appear very weak: Most cytokines didnt change significantly in the treatment group. It was only when multiple Th1 cytokines were grouped that a 2.52-fold increase over a 9-month was found in the treatment group compared to a 1.48-fold decrease in the placebo arm. And no significant difference was observed for Th-2 type cytokines. Overall, the antiviral treatment seems to have very little impact on Ab or cytokine biomarkers of chronic viral infection. This seems odd given the significant improvements in qualitative CFS symptoms.

food for thought

Rodger

4. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    From what I understand, IgG antibodies tend to persist for quite awhile. Montoya seems to be using valganciclovir as a mainline treatment with his patients, who seem to keep seeing him. I've been on his waiting list for 25 months and he's been too busy to get around to seeing me..though I'm not sure I need to at this point.

Both my doctors feel its a valid treatment and prescribed it, and my symptoms have improved dramstically on it and my titers and PCRs improved.

See more popular forum discussions.