1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Some sad news from Rich Van Konynenburg's wife

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by richvank, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Mimi

Mimi Senior Member

Ashland, OR
    I am so sorry to hear that Diana. We share your loss. I was hoping to have the opportunity to meet him in person so I could thank him for saving my life. His protocol gave it back to me and I feel a profound sense of gratitude towards him. He was so generous and kind, devoting himself to helping everyone. I can't think of a nicer memorial to anyone.

Here's what I wrote to our group, BACFS, last week, after he posted another of his extremely gracious replies on PR:

Hi All – I believe everyone needs to make up their own minds about what treatment options work best for them. And we all have different ways of evaluating that, whether through personal experience, intuition, study, or recommendations from others.

So while I don’t have any actual recommendations, I do like to share what looks hopeful or seems more likely to be helpful. So here is a note I just got from Rich Van Koynenenburg re: glutathione. Since he’s taken the time to really study our illness and helped so many with his simplified methylation protocol, I thought this well worth sharing. And I’d like to say, I have nothing but gratitude and respect for this wise, kind man, without whose generous donation of time and energy I would not now be well enough to start looking for work, instead of wondering what would happen to me when the money ran out and I had no place to live or ability to care for myself.

MM

Hi, Mimi.

I very much appreciate your posting this report on your experience with S-acetyl glutathione and the less expensive source for it. It's great to hear that it has worked well for you. I think this is only the second report I've seen, the other one being from a person in Germany, who also had good results. I think the cost has prevented some people from trying it. I started suggesting it, as well as liposomal glutathione, some time back, as two possibilities for actually getting glutathione into the cells to help raise it faster on the methylation protocol. Most IV glutathione is taken out of the blood by the kidneys, which probably do benefit, but it isn't a very effective way to raise glutathione in other organs, tissues and cells, and especially not for the longer term. I'm glad to hear that Dr. Klinghardt is encouraging the use of S-acetyl glutathione, too.

Best regards,

Rich

ggingues and RosieBee like this.
  2. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Diana, my heart goes to you. Rich was so smart, kind, helpful... A really great man!

ggingues likes this.
  3. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama
    Oh my, there are no words, such a shock.

Rich was a wonderfull caring man, thank you Diana for sharing Rich with all of us. He helped so many of us. I will miss reading posts, he was always there for us.

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time.

ggingues likes this.
  4. dmholmes

dmholmes Senior Member

Houston
  5. learner2life

learner2life David Pain

Tijuana-San Jose, Ca
    I am stunned. I can't express enough gratitude for the help that he has given me. He was such a generous person, such a brilliant mind and one of the very few who gave me hope that I could get better. In my darkest hours of despair I know Rich was there for us. He has touched so many lives in a postive way. This world has lost one of it's most prized individuals. Thank You Rich!!!

ggingues and Kina like this.
  6. serg1942

serg1942 Senior Member

Spain
    Hi everybody,

I am really shocked about Rich's death. I just wrote something in memorial of him. Below is the link to the whole text. Let me quote here my last phrase:

"Rich, you saved my life and gave sense to it. For this, and for much more, THANK YOU. We will never forget you"

Sergio

http://www.sfc-em-investigacion.com/viewtopic.php?p=11310#p11310

ggingues, vli and Sushi like this.
  7. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Rich Van Konynenburg 2.jpg

with member Rivka

8. grosolo

grosolo

Rich was a good man -- anyone who would devote such time and resources to such a hard-hit and long-ignored population is worthy of the highest praise. When I was at one of my lowest points about a year ago, I emailed Rich about his protocol and he responded to all of my questions and seemed open and even eager to help. I know he did the same for many others. We -- the hard hit people, the people whose live have been made miserable -- will never forget those who alleviated that burden even for a moment, or tried to.

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you take some solace in knowing this community loved your husband -- that everyone here feels this and wants to comfort you. To, as a collective, hug you and hold you.

Rest in peace.

Little Bluestem and ggingues like this.
  9. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Sad sad news, he tried to help me when I had no one else to go to and I really respected him for that and feel very grateful. I'm so sorry to hear this. A good good man.

ggingues likes this.
  10. LisaGoddard

LisaGoddard Senior Member

Dear Diana,
    It was so very sad to hear that Rich had died. A few weeks ago I posted a message to him in which I said that he was one of the heroes for his professional and personal interest in ME sufferers. He was so helpful and kind.
    You are in my prayers.
    Lisa

ggingues and Kina like this.
  11. Cindi

Cindi Senior Member

I am very sorry for your loss Diana. He was helpful to all of us. Great loss for us.Please accept my sincere condolences.

ggingues likes this.
  12. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    I made this a while ago.
    [​IMG]

ggingues and cph13 like this.
  13. themjay

themjay

Rich penetrated the darkness of M.E. with a clear mind and limitless compassion. We all owe him a great debt and he will be sorely missed.

Little Bluestem and ggingues like this.
  14. kday

kday Senior Member

ggingues likes this.
  15. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Rich Van Konynenburg 3.jpg

From Facebook

ggingues likes this.
  16. Mimi

Mimi Senior Member

Ashland, OR
    RichVanKinmemorium.jpg

ggingues, cph13 and Tammy like this.
  17. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Here is the full text of what Sergio wrote:

Nielk, Valentijn, Tammy and 4 others like this.
  18. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    I'm so sorry to hear this Diana. I can't imagine how you must be feeling after such a sudden and unexpected loss, and all I can do is offer you my heartfelt condolences.

As Ema said, there are few people who are truly irreplaceable and Rich was definitely one. It's so sad that he won't live to see his methylation block theories vindicated, but I'm confident his contribution won't be lost and I believe he will eventually be shown to have been way ahead of his time.

I will remember Rich for the compassion, selflessness and dignity he showed on these forums when answering questions from patients. His principles and his character shone through in the way that he interacted here, and he will be sorely missed by us all.

ggingues likes this.
  19. Wally

Wally Senior Member

Services at Rich's church in Northern California are currently being planned by his family and this information will be posted on-line as soon as all the arrangements are finalized.

ggingues likes this.
  20. Mimi

Mimi Senior Member

Ashland, OR
    Thanks, Wally. Thanks to Rich, I might be able to go. If anyone else from the South Bay is heading up there, please PM me.

See more popular forum discussions.