1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Some sad news from Rich Van Konynenburg's wife

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by richvank, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Quilp

Quilp Senior Member

A few weeks ago I needed some help. Not for the first time Rich was there to offer his considerable knowledge.
    I sent Rich a message apologising for the fact that I couldn't offer him anything in return for the help he has given me over the last year.
    He sent me this reply :-

You're welcome, Mark. What you've given me is another data point! One of the main ways I learn about ME/CFS, as well as making sure that my hypotheses are on track with reality, is by interacting with you guys. So, thank you!

Rich

Despite being the recipient of his help, he went out of his way to thank me. That was Rich, so warm and generous.

Life is full of regrets. After having received that last message I resolved to give Rich a mention on the boards because it was the only way I could thank him.

I decided against it because I felt that a public show of appreciation might embarrass him. How I regret not making that call. Please forgive me, because I will never forgive myself.

Love to you Diana xxx
    ggingues, Nielk, RosieBee and 2 others like this.
  2. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    Dear Diana,
    I am shocked and incredibly sad at the loss of a really incredible man. He was caring, smart, knowledgeable, compassionate....he will be deeply missed. My heart goes out to you.
    ggingues likes this.
  3. determined

determined Senior Member

USA: Deep South
    This is such shocking news. Diana, Rich was an amazing man, as I'm sure you know. Please, please know that we are sharing your pain.
    ggingues likes this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Rich was a bright light in dark times. He not only helped us but gave us hope, and showed us how good and kind people could be toward us. His death is a grievous loss to the entire ME/CFS community, and I hope his legacy continues to inspire both patients and researchers.
  5. juniemarie

juniemarie Senior Member

Albuquerque
    This is so hard to take in. It is because of Rich that my health has improved
    so much since following his protocol. I found out last year that I have Lyme
    and it was exciting news when Rich posted that he had started working with the
    Lyme community and some ILADS dr's as to how methylation plays a role in why
    people with long term or chronic lyme were not improving. He was to present his
    findings at the next ILADS conference in a few months.
    It is an understatement to say he will be missed....not just by his family but
    by the CFS/LYME community. He can not be replaced. He was so generous with his
    help and knowledge. He didn't just put the information out there for us but was
    our mother hen, our guardian angel....answering endless questions over and over
    and keeping us on track.
    I feel like an orphan
    becky82, ggingues and Nielk like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Senior Member

Victoria, BC
    Diana, all our sympathy in your grief. I too had some email contact with Rich when I started his protocol some years ago--he was patient, careful, helpful, as he always was with us. He was very much appreciated here, and will be sorely missed by this whole community--a very bright light in a part of the world in which there are not enough like him.
    Chris
    ggingues likes this.
  7. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

There are very few people who are truly irreplaceable but I'm sure that Rich fell into that category.

I will never forget his kindness and generosity.
    ggingues likes this.
  8. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    I am shocked and saddened by this news, he was truly a hero for many here. Such a selfless and kind human being; what a terrible loss for all that knew him.

Prayers going out for Diana and his family, so sorry for your suffering, we are with you in spirit.
    ggingues likes this.
  9. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Diana I am so sorry for your loss. It is so shocking and so very sad. I have known Rich through this and several other patient and parents forums for many years. He will be missed for his depth of knowledge and insights and also for his kindness, generosity and endless patience.
    ggingues likes this.
  10. slayadragon

slayadragon Senior Member

twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    I am so very sorry to hear this.

Rich was a real bright light in this community, both in terms of his work and his generous and kindhearted spirit.

Thank you for sharing him with us, Diana.
    ggingues likes this.
  11. akrasia

akrasia Senior Member

Hi Diana,

I remember when Rich first began to participate in this community on the list cfsfmexperimental. His contributions were always intelligent and kind, grounded in a compassionate curiosity he seemed always willing to share with everyone.

He was an ambassador from the land of creative scientific thinking, validating the serious nature of the illness and bringing great comfort to people through a very generous patience.

Great loss.
    ggingues likes this.
  12. PNR2008

PNR2008 Senior Member

OH USA
    I am sorry.
    ggingues likes this.
  13. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Such a terrible loss! It's rare to encounter a life so fully informed by faith. The Dalai Lama declared his religion to be kindness, and Rich's life declared the same. He must be in the company of angels now.
    ggingues, anniekim and Valentijn like this.
  14. Kate_UK

Kate_UK Senior Member

This is awful news. Diana, I am so sorry. We will never forget him.
    ggingues likes this.
  15. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    My deepest condolensces on your loss.

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this. Rich gave those of us in the cfs community more
    compassion, hope, intellect and wit than anyone else I know. His willingness to listen and give honest,
    intelligent and open minded feedback will be missed.

Hugs ... Marcia
    ggingues likes this.
  16. adin

adin Administrator

wow.

Diana, I'm sorry for your loss....Rich was a great guy.
    ggingues likes this.
  17. Sallysblooms

Sallysblooms P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!

Southern USA
    This is a terrible shock. I have had so much help from him. He was so wonderful to so many, wanting to help in every way he could. He was generous with his time and knowledge. I am so very sorry for you and his family and friends. I will always remember him. We are all SO much better for knowing him. Sally
    ggingues likes this.
  18. InvertedTree

InvertedTree Senior Member

I have no words. I am stunned. As many others have mentioned Rich gave so much to our community. I could always count on his wise words as well as his calming influence during rough times. He helped me personally and it seemed his ministry was to us.

Rich had a presence even if he wasn't posting. It was a loving, calm, patient presence. I will miss him a lot. He will be missed by our community and we lost a wonderful researcher.

My prayers are with you and your family Diana. Thank you for letting us know-that was so kind of you to think of us right now....
    ggingues and Asklipia like this.
  19. Morgaine

Morgaine

Such tragic news, like many others, I so appreciated his posts & his generous spirit.

My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family
    ggingues likes this.
  20. Xandoff

Xandoff Michael

Northern Vermont
    Dear Diana,
    Please accept my humble sympathy. When we lose someone wonderful as Rich it lies so heavy on our heart and mind. I was once told by a very wise Woman that grieving is "soul work" as our heart and mind are not up to dealing with all that grief entails. My prayers are for you and that the power of your soul will carry you through this terrible tragedy. We are all here with you in y(our) time of loss.
    ggingues likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.