1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Some sad news from Rich Van Konynenburg's wife

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by richvank, Sep 25, 2012.

1. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Wow, how old was he if you don't mind me asking?
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I don't know how old he was, but I think he was a retired physicist, please correct me someone if I am wrong about that. So he was more than a decade into retirement perhaps. Bye, Alex
  3. Lucinda

Lucinda Senior Member

UK
    I am so sorry to hear this.

He was such a generous, kind, person, who spent so much of his time helping others.

Such a great loss for us all.

And thoughts especially with you, Diana, and the rest of his family. xx
    ggingues likes this.
  4. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    This is such sad news. Rich worked so hard for us. He will be missed by many.

Thank you for all that you did for us Rich.
    ggingues likes this.
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    This was certainly unexpected. I am sorry for your loss, he will be missed by the community.
    ggingues likes this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Very sorry to hear this. Best wishes for this difficult time.
    ggingues and merylg like this.
  7. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Dear Diana,
    I am deeply shocked to hear this news. My deepest sympathy to you & your family at this difficult time. I am in awe & gratitude for the way Rich offered himself tirelessly to help the cause of this community. As you know, he reached out all around the world, even as far away as Australia.

I first got to know Rich over 15 years ago through OzME. He helped me then. He helped me only a few days ago, always with dignity & a genuine concern, until the end. Thanks Rich.
    ggingues, JAH and allyb like this.
  8. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Rich has touched many lives via the Internet. He took the time to answer many questions. He will be sorely missed. My condolences are with you at this difficult time.

Kina.
    ggingues likes this.
  9. Spring

Spring Senior Member

Netherlands
    Wow, how old was he if you don't mind me asking?

xks201 On his Facebookpage his date of birth is april 24th 1942, so he was 70 years old.
  10. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Diana, I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing this wonderful man with us, all these years. On top of all that has been said above, I loved him for his warm sense of humor. His kindness was infectious.

My heart is with yours as you move forward.

Madie
    ggingues, Wayne, allyb and 3 others like this.
  11. Asklipia

Asklipia Senior Member

I feel orphaned. A gentle soul departed. So much help with a masterly light touch. Words cannot express my sadness.
    So much knowledge gone.
    I admired Rich and felt so grateful for his existence. I still feel blessed for having studied his posts.
    I certainly shall keep him like a softly shining pearl in my mind. As I write posts, or as I read them. Never on this PR forum without a smiling and grateful thought for him.

Diana I do not know you but I know the devastating pain of sudden separation from a life companion. At such a time I was amazed and helped by so many strangers. I did not know that I was so interrelated with so many other unknown souls. At the time of numbness it helped enormously. I send towards you all the warmth I can to wrap you in these difficult times.
    Lots of good wishes
    Asklipia
    ggingues, cph13, Anteah and 3 others like this.
  12. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Diana I am also moved to tears. He was one of the pillars of stability in the community for us. Thank you for thinking of us and we will be thinking of you.
  13. Jarod

Jarod Senior Member

planet earth
    HI Diana,

I'm saddened to hear this. As you know, Rich put huge amounts of effort into helping people here with all his research and posts.

I have personally benefited from all his research and he knows that many people have benefited.

Rich really projected positive energy and great personality at his presentations. He touched many peoples lives.

Rich was an exceptional man. No doubt about it and he will be missed by thousands of people.

Jarod
    ggingues and Wayne like this.
  14. dece

dece

Dear Diana,

It's hard to find the right words in response to this news, I doubt they even exist...
    Nevertheless, I would like to offer you my condolences and deepest sympathy.

I too, like many others on this forum are shocked by this news.. Rich was one of the most intelligent yet humble, caring and selfless people I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

Not so long ago, Rich helped me personally with interpretation of test results and advice, and I was going to mail him the newest results next week.. In that mail I was going to tell him about the progress I made in the past few weeks, progress I have Rich to thank for.. I hope that the fact that Rich has helped so many of us will offer some support in these sad times.

He was truly an angel!

Much comfort from Belgium,

Dece
  15. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    I was so saddened to hear this news and my sincerest condolences to you Diana. He was such a kind and generous spirited man with a keen intellect which he selflessly put towards helping people with m.e. He will be deeply missed by the M.E community and I'm sure by all who knew him, a remarkable, lovely man.
    ggingues likes this.
  16. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    Oh my goodness... such sad news. What a wonderful and kind-hearted guy he was. Say hello to the angels up there for me, Rich.
    ggingues likes this.
  17. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Dear Diana ;

Thank You for gathering the strength to bring to us this sad news. Thank you for generously sharing your husband with so many people in need.

If we can be of any help to you, please ask.
    We are here for you.
    ggingues and Nielk like this.
  18. Gamboa

Gamboa Senior Member

Canada
    This is absolutely horrendous news. I am so very sorry, Diana, for your devastating loss. I only met Rich
    once but feel that he was a close friend due to his presence here on PR. He was so dedicated to helping us and we all will greatly feel his absence.
    becky82 and ggingues like this.
  19. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

I have lost a friend I never met face to face. He and I discussed a number of subjects, agreed on some, differed on others. At all times he was a gentleman and a professional. This is such a contrast to some in a field where so many become bitter enemies. He managed to correct a blunder of mine in private without embarrassing me in public. Even when we differed he encouraged me to "keep thinking outside-the-box". He was candid about what he did not know, and patient in explaining what he did know.

We are all poorer for his loss. We are all richer for his example.
    Advocate, Nielk, Wayne and 9 others like this.
  20. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Dearest Diana and Community,

It is incomprehensible to have lost such a fine friend. How stable was he, and kind; generous and patient;
    noble and diplomatic like no other. Such a mind, such grace and wit, and such willingness to share it endlessly for the benefit of all.

With deep sorrow and profound respect, it is my hope you will take some comfort in the warmth, admiration, and love you find here, knowing his legacy is a keystone of hope for so many.

Everlasting Love,
    ~leela
    Wayne, ggingues and Nielk like this.

See more popular forum discussions.