Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Some psychological terms relating to adjusting expectations following illness(relevant to recovery?)

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Probably a minority interest)

I just read this paper:
    Free full text: http://211.144.68.84:9998/91keshi/Public/File/36/372-9634/pdf/1-s2.0-S0140673608610788-main.pdf
    Abstract copied below.

I had a note that it suggested something about increased fatigue leading to reduced extraversion, which I didn't notice (I thought this would be useful given the findings of reduced extraversion in CFS, which is sometimes used against us).

Anyway, it did say:
    Anyway I found this interesting in relation to discussions about recovery. I find a lot of claims from individuals and researchers about recovery when to me, the people don't seem to have truly gone back to pre-illness functioning.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    Sasha, Esther12, Simon and 8 others like this.
  2. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    I don't really feel much different because I don't have an inner world or view point. Just feels like I want to do more and enjoy some physical activities, restore these wacky brain changes. It can be extremely difficult at times especially with the weird symptoms I get in my brain, the physical stuff is easier to cope with. Just want to get healthy so I can resume my life again and change this world for the better.

roxie60 likes this.
  3. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

the researchers don't know what is causing it, don't know how to cure it and the are not personally affected.

The best solution for THEM is that the patient learns to be satisfied with the poor health they have.

Tito likes this.
  4. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK

SOC and Dolphin like this.
  5. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I had mixed feelings about that article. One big diff betw. most of us and people with the usual sorts of chronic disease is the level of care. Many people have great difficulty finding a physician who even acknowledges that they are sick, must less providing care. *All* treatments for CFS/ME are experimental. I think most of us feel abandoned, even invisible at times.

Tito and Scarecrow like this.
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Page 7. The paragraph that starts out with ...

"Of course, ...

Sorry I can't quote anymore. I lost my pdf. :(

But it states patients can't be forced into thinking positive. It would be detrimental.

Tc .. x

Valentijn, Cheshire and Dolphin like this.
  7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

8. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Thanks @Esther12.

So far this info seems appropriate for pwcs. They just need to add in how frustrating it is not have any accepted treatments.

Tc .. x

Sasha likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.