The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Some inspiration (CFS/ME remission collection)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by dirk086, Aug 2, 2017.

1. dirk086

dirk086

Hello everyone,

I think we all need some inspiration, knowing that this disease CAN be overcome (and there are lot's of success stories out there).

Here we go:

https://cfsunravelled.com/cfs-fibro-recovery-stories/

I found this story particularly helpful and inspiring:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    notmyself likes this.
  2. notmyself

notmyself Senior Member

thanks for posting this!

dirk086 likes this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Just started watching and James says he has 'chronic fatigue' - red flag.

JaimeS, Joh, Valentijn and 1 other person like this.
  4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Ok, had to stop watching at 3 minutes when the host says "psychology is a big part of recovery".

If anyone watches further, let me know if they stop the psychobabble.

Joh, dangermouse and Valentijn like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Endorsements of various forms of quackery don't inspire me.

6. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    People clicked play? Even when the before and after shots appear to indicate a radical and unbelievable transformation into someone else (and not in a figurative sense)? That type of intro is generally indicative, in my experience, of hokum, baloney, probably MLM scam etc.

7. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

Is it the "think yourself better" and "buy my products, I'll show you how" sort of stuff? If so I'll give that a miss thanks.

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  8. dirk086

dirk086

The owner of the website is not selling anything (at least not that I know). He had CFS and also "cured" himself. He made that website to help other people with the same "ilness" and he is putting those recovery stories up there to inspire others to not give up and keep trying things. Not everyone just vanishes and wants to leave everything that happened behind once they go into remission. A lot of people do, yes.. but there are also others (like the guy on www.cfsremission.com who is doing the same thing - helping others going through the same thing he went through).

I myself don't believe that a psychologist would help me (or shall I say that I don't want to believe it), but I also can't deny the fact that when some personal things happened in my life in the past year, things really started to go downhill for me health wise (the gut brain barrier goes both ways). That's also what he mentions later in the interview, that there are two types of depression. The one's which you have because you really have issues in your life (that you would also have if you weren't sick) and those that are constant (depression/brain fog caused by inflammatory cytokines or D-lactic acid for example).

@Wonko: Those are not before and after shots. The guy on the left side is the owner of the website and the guy on the right is james, who is being interviewed.

sb4 and notmyself like this.
  9. Mij

Mij Senior Member

10. dangermouse

dangermouse Senior Member

Valentijn and NelliePledge like this.
  11. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

exactly although there is a lot of free content it is mainly "recovery stories" and he does indeed have a programme to promote https://ansrewire.com/enrol/ albeit not as costly as lightning process and other such money making schemes

dangermouse likes this.
  12. dirk086

dirk086

To be honest, I didn't really read or watch anything else on that website. I only watched/listened to the remission stories and found some of them quite helpful (especially the latter part of James story).

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

yes but they are the hook to draw people in for the programme

JaimeS, Valentijn and dangermouse like this.
  14. dirk086

dirk086

Alright, I just checked it. Seems sort of like Dr. Chris Kresser or Dr. Axe if anyone here has heard about them (seems to be quite popular right now to become an online doctor :p).

For the interviewees defence I gotta say that they didn't get any help from that guy - they achieved remission by themselves and are just sharing their story how they did it.

I could extract some knowledge out of it, especially James approach. Because it is exactly what I am doing right now and so far having the best results yet (being persistent after reaching rock bottom and focusing on making a lot of small improvements until feeling normal again instead of looking for that one single thing that will put me out of this).

15. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

dangermouse likes this.
  16. Mij

Mij Senior Member

17. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

money for old rope as my grandad would say

dangermouse likes this.
  18. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

19. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Any treatment that also cures baldness and the need to wear glasses is one to keep in mind!

Edit
    Oh, bummer!

Mij, dangermouse and Valentijn like this.
  20. bobp1970

bobp1970

The James guy being interviewed created his own Youtube channel (I believe he posted it here and got short shrift) and the general theme was positive thinking and diet cured him. He was never diagnosed with ME by a doctor I don't think.

The interviewer also had another one of these stories where the guy actually said what was wrong with him (can't remember what it was but it wasn't ME/CFS) and it was still called a ME/CFS recovery story because the interviewee had fatigue.

See more popular forum discussions.