• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Some concerns about homeopathy

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
At the risk of approaching Godwin's Law (where else was this thread ever going to end), there is ample evidence from the last century that large parts of the German population (including some doctors) were more than capable of following mad dangerous ideas, with terrible consequences.

Prince Philip is known for expressing inappropriate views on a wide range of subjects, not all of which are considered carved in stone and taken as gospel as soon as he's uttered them.

I don't know what vets have done, but I'm keeping my eye on them.

TiredSam

There is also the distinct possibility in this unregulated field that what you were given was not what it was claimed to be. Although there is literally nothing in true homeopathic remedies, there have been cases where bottles have been tested and found to contain all manner of substances.
What a brilliant idea - set up as a homeopathist and put medicine in the bottles :rofl:

Why didn't I think of that?

Mrs Sowester

What a brilliant idea - set up as a homeopathist and put medicine in the bottles :rofl:

Why didn't I think of that?

I have been thinking of this since the respecting others views argument. I have been imagining pretty labels with botanical illustrations on gentle background colours which reflect the flowering (or whatever) colour, I have mentally designed the whole range. It's very classy and expensive looking, in my imagination people will want to buy the whole range just to complete the set.

alex3619

It is implausible that the Royal family, many medical doctors in Germany, and a very large percentage of the population, many veterinary surgeons and their patient's owners, believe that homeopathy works if it doesn't.
It was once considered plausible that the Earth was flat. Plausibility sometimes is based on society wide bias. Or that the Earth was at the center of the universe. Or that you treat a fever by bloodletting.

Scientific plausibility is always constrained by current scientific knowledge. That knowledge changes over time.

brenda

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...ysician-calls-for-more-homeopathy-on-NHS.html

The Queen eskews pharmaceuticals and opts for altenative medicine. If it was only Charlie, then I would understand doubters. You can be sure that the Queen has the best possible advisors for longevity.

You can also be sure that cultivating chronic ill health to make profits for share holders, is for the plebs and not for this family.

Last edited:

Forbin

Let me run a thought experiment. Homeopathy supposedly works by extreme dilution of supposed ingredients. The more dilute the better.

Yes. James Randi tells the story of a poor man who died of a homeopathic overdose... when he forgot to take his pill.

Also, FWIW, James Randi is still active and he's only 2 years younger than Queen Elizabeth.

[ Strange. Somehow, it just never occurred to me that I might one day find myself typing those words. ]

Hajnalka

b9af434b69f57ec4d0edacef569b08f4.jpg

I'm convinced!

alex3619

You can be sure that the Queen has the best possible advisors for longevity.
The Pharaoh's priests were the best doctors in the world. Ancient Egypt had the best medicine of the time. So therefore they were right that the Pharaohs and others would be immortalized by mummification?

There are intrinsic biases in these kinds of arguments. The scientific method, while not infallible, gives us the tools to investigate to find out if these claims are verifiable. Its best used to disprove claims, as proving most things in science is problematic. If a scientific claim survives lots of attempts at disproof then its not proved, but it might be reliable.

TiredSam

I have been thinking of this since the respecting others views argument. I have been imagining pretty labels with botanical illustrations on gentle background colours which reflect the flowering (or whatever) colour, I have mentally designed the whole range. It's very classy and expensive looking, in my imagination people will want to buy the whole range just to complete the set.
Willow bark innit?

brenda

There are plenty of clinical trials that have been done using rodents to find out about the best methods for longevity which will be used by her advisors I have no doubt.

Mrs Sowester

There are plenty of clinical trials that have been done using rodents to find out about the best methods for longevity which will be used by her advisors I have no doubt.
You know the royals aren't really human? They are actually psychopathic lizards wearing people suits, I am choosing to believe David Icke about this, he was on TV so he must be an authority on the matter.

arewenearlythereyet

the best methods for longevity I know are: to avoid overexposure to the sun, not to smoke, oh and don't work as a scaffolder or in a steelworks or down a coal mine...phew with all those pit closures mere mortals may be able to survive as long as the queen now.

I have refrained from any rodent jokes

Wonko

I *knew* chocolate biscuits would come up. I eat 2 and I suddenly feel better.
You might feel better if you just dipped one in water, threw the water, and biscuit, away
and drank another glass of water from the same glass, you'd probably never want a biscuit again, it'd be that sensational.

edit...did I just invent a homeopathic diet?

Last edited: