New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Some concerns about homeopathy

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Esther12, Sep 9, 2017.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Lots of our treatments, including ME treatments, and including everyday medical care, are scientifically plausible. That is not the same as proven or reliable. We go to medical authorities and hope they can help. In the case of ME they usually don't.

There is a guesstimate that half of all medicine is wrong, and even more of psychiatry. Science is a method, not a destination.

The way I consider it is that these things are working hypotheses, including my CFS diagnosis and ME diagnosis. Whether we do it ourselves, or under medical advice, we are basically the test subjects in ongoing experiments. With something as complex as ME these treatments usually fail, or fail over time.

erin, TigerLilea, pamojja and 4 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I'm currently reading "Thinking Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman (yes I know, I've been on it for ages ...). He says that the key factor in whether someone will create / adopot / hold onto a belief is whether it is plausible. That trumps everything - evidence, reason, facts, everything. Our problem is that M.E. isn't very plausible.

3. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

We can allow our bodies to heal from ME

I also fly to the moon every sunday morning

4. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

But somehow homeopathy is plausible.
    It comes down to what it suits people to believe.

So far today I have chosen to believe @Marky90 can fly. He can fly highest when he sings R Kelly songs.

I slept well last night after two nights of awful broken sleep. I have chosen to believe that the quiche I ate for supper had magic soporific qualities and the previous nights of bad sleep had nothing to do with drinking Cava.

5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Biscuit Antagonist

Uk
    Well my immediate response to @Marky90 s claim was belief then through reasoned logic I decided that this has become implausible ....mainly because if it were true I don't think he would restrict travel to just Sunday

6. AndyPR

AndyPR Cookies for Tired Sam

Ahh, but what you have done there is dilute the Cava with sufficient amounts of quiche, so that it now allows you to sleep. ;)

7. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    While he's allowing himself to heal from ME, he still has to be a little careful with PEM. Also on Sundays most shops are closed on earth.

8. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    It is implausible that the Royal family, many medical doctors in Germany, and a very large percentage of the population, many veterinary surgeons and their patient's owners, believe that homeopathy works if it doesn't.

9. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

No, it is entirely plausible by reason that 49.9% of the population is below average intelligence.

IreneF, alex3619, TigerLilea and 6 others like this.
  10. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

You're still appealing to authority. If it works, then there should be some evidence of that, not just the repetition of a logical fallacy.

Hutan, alex3619, TigerLilea and 6 others like this.
  11. AndyPR

AndyPR Cookies for Tired Sam

It is entirely plausible that the vast majority of scientists, many medical doctors worldwide, and a very large percentage of the population, don't believe that homeopathy works because it doesn't.

TigerLilea, Marky90, Sea and 4 others like this.
  12. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Oh if you mean doctors then I agree.

erin, frederic83 and TiredSam like this.
  13. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    It's also implausible that the Royal family, many medical doctors in Germany, and a very large percentage of the population, many veterinary surgeons and their patient's owners believe that ME doesn't exist if it does.

14. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    :jaw-drop: That's the last time I try to be sarcastic.

Hutan, trishrhymes, Marky90 and 4 others like this.
  15. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

As the majority of doctors do not believe homeopathy works, then followig your reasonning, homeopathy doesn't work. (and following your reasonning, ME is a psychiatric disorder).

16. Valentijn

Valentijn The Diabolic Logic

Okay, now we know you're fibbing! You'll give up the chocolate biscuits before you abandon sarcasm :D

17. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

This is a poor argument as it's easy to come up with historical examples of widespread beliefs that were clearly wrong. Without a doubt, many people can share a belief that is incorrect.

Hutan, trishrhymes, AndyPR and 3 others like this.
  18. arewenearlythereyet

Uk
    What is going on with you at the moment? ...are you trying a personality transplant? if you are using the gut biome technique I think you should know that research is at a very early stage so the chances of it working and giving a permanent benefit are quite slim :D

trishrhymes, Marky90, AndyPR and 3 others like this.
  19. arewenearlythereyet

Uk
    I'm not sure which member of the royal family subscribe to this ...presumably prince Charles since he seems to have a lot of alternative views, but why does that give a ringing endorsement?

The royals are just human beings that are prone to the power of suggestion like any body else?

In fact I would suggest (pun intended) that they may be more susceptible since they live an otherworldly non practical and cosseted life. They are also into tradition a lot so may like the idea of upholding some more outdated views on things. I think they still uphold some mediaeval practices to this day.

Hutan, Orla, svetoslav80 and 6 others like this.
  20. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    From the link you gave:

"After an in-depth initial consultation, Wendy prescribed two homeopathic remedies plus a probiotic supplement and a change of diet."

"Wendy suggested a new diet (which he absolutely loves!) and a course of two different homoeopathic tablets."

There is also the distinct possibility in this unregulated field that what you were given was not what it was claimed to be. Although there is literally nothing in true homeopathic remedies, there have been cases where bottles have been tested and found to contain all manner of substances.

See more popular forum discussions.