New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Somatic mutations in clonally expanded cytotoxic T lymphocytes in patients with newly diagnosed RA

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndyPR, Aug 30, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

Thought this might be interesting, especially in light of Mark Davis' recent talk on T cells. Please note though that I have no real understanding of what I'm reading here. :)
    Open access at https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15869

dangermouse, nandixon, Aroa and 4 others like this.
  2. Philipp

Philipp

Serious question: What does the 'somatic' modifier do there? Is it to distinguish from 'genetic' or something (i.e., a somatic mutation being something that has 'manifested as tissue' or whatever)?

Aroa and AndyPR like this.
  3. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    Wikipedia

Valentijn, Aroa, AndyPR and 1 other person like this.
  4. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

It is an aquired mutation not present in every cell.

RogerBlack, Aroa, AndyPR and 2 others like this.
  5. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

However certain cells in the body (t-cells) for example, are cloned from one prototype cell - this is how much of the immune system that reacts to specific things works.

So, a mutation can be significant to the patient, because it can end up massively multiplied.
    This happens in cancer, though in that case, the multiplication is not intended by the body, which causes seperate issues.

Valentijn likes this.
  6. melihtas

melihtas Senior Member

Istanbul Turkey
    As far as I understand, according to the paper, the mutations are not present in the original t cells, they are created during clonal expansion, so, something in the serum must be causing it like Ron Davis said.

See more popular forum discussions.