• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Solve: Non-Invasive Diagnostic Test Project Seeks to Detect ME/CFS

This week, we highlight the Cathleen J. Gleeson PhD Fund and our collaborative partnership with the University of Washington on diagnostic testing in ME/CFS.
This study of diagnostics and metabolic imaging uses advanced, non-invasive magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) to measure muscle metabolites in ME/CFS patients before and after fatiguing exercise.

Pilot testing conducted earlier through this project compared a single patient with ME/CFS to that of a matched healthy control. Preliminary analysis revealed abnormal levels of certain metabolites, most notably NAD (P) H, in the ME/CFS subject compared to the healthy control. This result points to cellular metabolic dysfunction in a specific pathway that may itself promote and suffer from oxidative stress. The difference in metabolic profile was most pronounced the day following fatiguing exercise, mirroring a commonly reported timeline of symptoms for those with ME/CFS.

This preliminary data suggests that an abnormal response of NADP and its cofactor, NAD(P)H, may be a molecular marker for ME/CFS-related oxidative stress at the cellular level.

http://solvecfs.org/promising-non-invasive-diagnostic-testing-project-seeks-to-detect-mecfs/

alex3619

Presumably because they have only tested one patient who differed from one normal in one respect. The next patient might not differ or might differ in another respect. A diagnostic test needs to show a consistent pattern.
There also need to be enough patients to have some statistical surety, comparison with likely alternate diagnoses, and a measure of specificity and sensitivity (95% or better is preferred, but sometimes this is relaxed if no other test exists). There are other potential tests being looked at, but none meet the full criteria. Of course, you then have to publish the findings.

The proposed study looks interesting. They have not claimed the single case provides a diagnostic test, it is simply a starting point of interest.

I assume they will use matched sedentary controls. Possibly also compare with people with other chronic fatiguing illnesses like MS.

There's a long way to go, but I'm glad they are trying. The more interesting leads are followed up, the better chance of useful discoveries being made.