• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Solve ME/CFS Research Awards 2017 -Looks Good?

bertiedog

On checking emails today the one from this group came through and I thought this one in particular looked very interesting.

Biomarkers for initiation (infection) and metabolic derangement in ME/CFS

A project summary as written by Drs. Blomberg, Bergquist, Gottfries, and Zachrisson:

Our working hypothesis of ME/CFS pathogenesis is that a person predisposed for ME through genetics and previous antigen exposure is infected with a microbe prone to elicit ME. These microbial antigens have epitopes which cross-react with self-epitopes. An (auto)immune response to this microbe which bypasses tolerance mechanisms is elicited. The cross-reactive immune response, e.g. autoantibodies, is directed against molecules involved in energy metabolism, hormonal regulation and, possibly, specific portions of the brain. In short, “infection elicited autoimmunometabolic dysfunction”.

Further information at http://solvecfs.org/2017-ramsay-award-program-team-1.

There are 4 other awards listed but I particularly liked the look of this one.

Pam