• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI, USA) Supports the Disability Integration Act 10/27/16

*GG*

SMCI is proud to join 400 other organizations in supporting the Disability Integration Act

The pending Disability Integration Act (Senate Resolution 2427) marks a key shift in the approach to disability services and definitions that could have substantial impact on the lives of patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

The Disability Integration Act builds on the 25-year campaign that fights for civil rights and community living for individuals who need in-home support and care. The legislation is designed to combat unwanted institutionalization for individuals who need in-home or community supports where insurance and state programs only offer these services in the form of residential placement or institutionalization. SMCI especially supports the expanded definition for disability services and support that makes it easier for ME/CFS patients to qualify.

The Disability Integration Act will ensure that

1) Public entities and insurance providers that provide long-term services and support cannot discriminate against people based on disability or illness when providing home- or community- based services and support.

2) Public entities and insurance providers that provide long-term services must have payment structures for home- and community-based services.

3) Public entities and insurance providers MUST inform their consumers of their right to receive services and support in their home or community over an institutional placement.

4) Public entities must increase affordable and accessible housing options for those with disabilities.

http://solvecfs.org/smci-supports-the-disability-integration-act/