Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Solve biobank recruiting patients and healthy controls

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Roll up! :)

moosie, Dolphin and jimells like this.
  2. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I've done my duty. There is no mention of whether they only want US residents, but there is a box on the contact form for "Country". Since they are only collecting data and no samples until researchers actually need them, I don't see any obvious reason to limit this to US residents.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
    Valentijn and *GG* like this.
  3. *GG*

*GG*

Concord, NH
    I signed up for this again. I would really like to be included this time!

GG

Valentijn and jimells like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    They welcome international contributors/participants. I'm in the UK and I signed up.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Have they said so? I had a quick look yesterday and couldn't see anything. I thought they were purely a biobank and just wanted good info on people who could provide bio specimens - and assumed that they'd want the specimens sent to the US.

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, that's correct. In case I've caused confusion, when I said "participants" I meant "contributors" to the biobank.

Edit: See @jimells' post, below.

Yes, they've said that they welcome international participants. I don't know where it's written - I signed up a couple of years ago.

Note, as far as I understood it, international contributors have to arrange for any samples to be collected and sent privately; They give you instructions about how to do this. To begin with, they just ask you to complete forms online, and you don't send samples until a researcher requires your specific samples. I had to drop out when my health deteriorated and so I haven't had contact with them for a while, so things might have changed.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Sasha and Valentijn like this.
  7. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    It's not really a "biobank" but rather a database to be made available to researchers. Since samples aren't collected until the researchers need them, I assume they will be shipped directly to the researchers or whatever lab is handling samples for them. So if a UK researcher uses this database, there would be no reason to ship samples to the US. Certainly Solve would not want the samples sent to their office!

Bob likes this.
  8. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)

Dolphin and Valentijn like this.
  9. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I asked Solve what countries and here is their reply

Valentijn, Bob, TiredSam and 3 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.