• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Soluble CD14 testing

Daffodil

hi all. the nevada lab will be offering soluble cd14 testing in late january. i think dr. demeirleir has been offering this test for a while.

has anyone had this test? if so, what did the doctor say it means? did he talk about antibiotics to address this?

apparently, a high CD14 correlates with bacteria in the blood from leaky gut.

the immunobilan test does not test for every kind of bacteria so the soluble CD14 test might be more useful.

i think elevated sCD14 correlates also with a very high TNF-a.

check out this quote from an article about elevated sCD14 and HIV-associated cognitive impairment:

Ryan et al. (2001) subsequently confirmed an association between plasma soluble CD14 (sCD14) and cognitive dysfunction in HIV infection. More recently, Ancuta et al. (2008) showed that elevated sCD14 and lipopolysachharide (LPS) levels are associated with HAD. These observations support an independent study which demonstrated that elevated systemic LPS levels and immune activation in chronic HIV infection resulting from microbial translocation are associated with HIV-induced depletion of gut-associated lymphoid tissue (Brenchley et al. 2006). These studies clearly support the hypothesis that systemic immune activation/inflammation triggered by HIV-induced transmicrobial translocation and monocyte activation increases the risk for development of HAND through trafficking of activated monocytes into the CNS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2914283/

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
i think dr. demeirleir has been offering this test for a while.

has anyone had this test? if so, what did the doctor say it means? did he talk about antibiotics to address this?

apparently, a high CD14 correlates with bacteria in the blood from leaky gut.

I am PMing you,
Sushi

filfla4

Sushi, my sCD14 is 3,993.00 on a range of 1,430.00 - 2,800.00 ng/ml. Any thoughts/explanation on what it actually means? Any help in understanding this would be welcome!!

Attachments

• upload_2013-11-14_0-18-13.png
    upload_2013-11-14_0-18-13.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 31

naoise

I have a high result too so means leaky gut...interesting as I have huge gut issues!

unicorn7

sCD14 is the soluble version of the CD14-receptor that is also in monocytes. It binds to LPS (lipopolysaccharide = outer wall of gram-negative bacteria). There has been research that has correlated levels of LPS with CD14 levels, so when you have a lot of LPS in your blood, CD14 goes up.
LPS can only be in your blood when there's pieces of gram-negative bacteria translocating to your blood (through a leaky gut). The same happens in sepsis.

With me, sCD14 has been consistently going up when symptoms were bad and down when symptoms were better. I was told by KDM that CD14 is the first to go down, when everything starts getting better.

Daffodil

there is some controversy about the sCD14 test. some say things other than bacterial translocation can make it high

nandixon

sCD14 is a non specific marker of monocyte activation:
Yes, sCD14 cannot be used as a proxy for LPS. A high sCD14 level may simply mean, for example, that one or more inflammatory cytokines are elevated and not that LPS is high. To determine if LPS is really high or not LPS must be measured directly.

Daffodil

Yes, sCD14 cannot be used as a proxy for LPS. A high sCD14 level may simply mean, for example, that one or more inflammatory cytokines are elevated and not that LPS is high. To determine if LPS is really high or not LPS must be measured directly.
I am going to ask my doc about this

Daffodil

he said this:

LPS is unstable and changes from minute to minute. It is ok to use in studies to compare groups, but cannot be used in the follow-up of an individual patient.
sCD14 gives you the activity of LPS over a longer period.

nandixon

he said this:

LPS is unstable and changes from minute to minute. It is ok to use in studies to compare groups, but cannot be used in the follow-up of an individual patient.
sCD14 gives you the activity of LPS over a longer period.
I'm afraid that's making the assumption that an elevated sCD14 is due to an elevated LPS in the first place, which can't be known unless LPS is actually measured at some point in the individual patient. (LPS is only unstable if it's not handled and stored properly.)