AVIVA Semi-Finals: National ME/FM Action Network is competing for $100,000
The National ME/FM Action Network in Canada is competing for $100,000 for biomedical research of ME and FM in the Aviva Community Fund contest. With thanks to all who helped, they made it through the first round of voting into the Semi-Finals.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

sodium bicarb, acidosis, and my BP went up a tad ?? and Sjogrens. :)

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by BadBadBear, May 30, 2013.

1. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    115! UGH!! no wonder you were hyponatremic, @MeSci. I feel bad when my sodium gets a few points low, in the mid 130's.

To update, after I started on pot. bicarb last year, my POTS symptoms slowly resolved. I stayed on it for almost a year, and now am mostly off of it. If I start getting sore muscles for no reason, I do another round of it. But I have not caught myself having a low BP since I started taking it - I stay up above 90/60 pretty much all the time. It definitely fixed something. I still have some level of OI, etc. esp. when I am bending down and standing back up. The terrible near blackouts have mostly resolved - I might have one now and then when I am actually dehydrated.

I did go low on potassium at one point while taking it, so I still need extra potassium (currently seems to be 10-20 MEQ, depending on what my bloodwork shows). I have not stopped needing extra salt either, though my need for it is generally lower than last year.

I had myself tested for Sjogrens and am negative, though I still have persistent dry eyes. For some reason, while I was taking p. bicarb, my ears started making wax again, though. :) My mouth is not nearly as dry & burning when I have sufficient bicarb. Dry mouth is another symptom for me that I need bicarb.

I guess that's all I can say about it. It has been good stuff for me.

MeSci likes this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    We seem to have opposite symptoms - I have HIGH bp, too much earwax and, at least when exposed to artificial perfumes, too much saliva. :D

3. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Did you have all of those before taking bicarb? :cat:

4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Yes. It hasn't made any difference to those, except that I think my ears get blocked less often now, maybe as a result of my general leaky-gut/gut alkalising diet and supplements.

Incidentally, I also use bicarb drops to help clear the ears. It seems to help better than other things I've tried.

Not a problem for you, I know, but might help others!

5. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    MeSci likes this.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
  7. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Never heard of glue ear before! :nervous:

8. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    Hi there @BadBadBear I'm wondering if your high anion gap has improved since this post. If so, what do you think helped?

Over time my anion gap is creeping higher 17 (8-16); bicarbonate lower 21 (22-31). I have managed to bring my sodium up to 141 (137-145) from 135 with Himalayan salt in water.

Potassium is 3.9 (3.2-5.0) and chloride 107 (98-111)

BP 107/60 sitting today tested by the nurse.

I am not overly concerned at this stage being just out of the range, but I would like to know how to correct this, if possible.

Best wishes Andy

9. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Hi Andy,

Yes, my anion gap has stayed in a good range (around 11) and I'm not needing to take potassium bicarb anymore, after being on it for a year.

Yeah, if yours is 17, it's definitely creeping upward. How are you feeling? I felt horrid when mine was at 19.

Have you tried a titch of sodium bicarb to see how you feel? Post back if you try it. It was dramatic for me, how much it helped at the time.

Cheers,
    Michelle

10. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Question: I can't take sodium bicarb as it raises my BP. I do need something to reduce urine acidity. Suggestions?

Sushi

11. AndyPandy

Australia
    Thanks for responding @BadBadBear. Great to hear you managed to improve this.

I may do some experimenting with potassium bicarbonate. I am feeling pretty unwell, but this could be due to any one (or all) of a number of health issues I have! :sluggish:

Best wishes to you Michelle!

BadBadBear likes this.
  12. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

South America
    I found that potassium bicarbonate is very effective to lower BP. My BP is already low :ill:

13. AndyPandy

Australia
    Sushi likes this.
  14. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Potassium citrate is used in studies, and I know it works for me personally.

BadBadBear and Sushi like this.
  15. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I am trying that. Do you know the recommended dose? I am putting the powder in capsules.

Thanks,
    Sushi

16. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Sorry, I don't. But I'd personally be leery of taking more than 1 99mg capsule at a time, becausd of possible kidney problems.

Here's a casual article: http://www.stepbystep.com/how-to-use-potassium-citrate-to-raise-urine-ph-85377/

I've noticed that things like whey and tomato sauce tend to lower pH noticeably.

Sushi likes this.
  17. Sherlock

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Maybe one day, try several potatoes in a row an hour apart. It probably would be difficult, though, to keep that up day after day. Still, a person can live for quite a while on nothing but potatoes.

Sushi likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.