• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SOD2 Treatment- C60oo Anyone?

I have been researching how to best correct my homozygous GG SOD2 A16V.

Has anyone had any luck with C60oo?

I would love to hear what has worked and not worked for you! Thank you!! :)

Valentijn

I have been researching how to best correct my homozygous GG SOD2 A16V.
The research doesn't even agree which version is a problem, which usually means that no version is having much effect. It's also extremely common to have GG, with about 20% of Europeans being GG and up to 40% in some healthy populations.

Okay I guess that means this is one SNP I don't need to worry about. Thank you! I've been having weird neurological symptoms and am just trying to pinpoint what it could be, I thought maybe this was it.

Peyt

I tried C60 and I am +/- on both SOD2 genes. C60 changed my life as far as getting rid of my back and body pain(rheumatoid arthritis) within 3 days .. I literally felt like a healthy person!.. unfortunalty, I was not able to continue due to violent headache I got after about 10 days of use. That was 2 years ago and I stopped it then. But since then I have not find any supplements that work even close to as good as c60.... I am thinking of trying another brand and give it another chance... The original brand I tried had Cellulose in it. I also have SIBO and I have heard people with SIBO don't do well with any form of Cellulose. That's why I am thinking maybe the Cellulose in the product gave me that headache and not C60.. Also, I have heard it's better to take C60 for 5 days, then stop for 2 and the start that cycle again.. I would be interested to know if anyone tried C60 and what was their experience?

I tried C60 and I am +/- on both SOD2 genes. C60 changed my life as far as getting rid of my back and body pain(rheumatoid arthritis) within 3 days .. I literally felt like a healthy person!.. unfortunalty, I was not able to continue due to violent headache I got after about 10 days of use. That was 2 years ago and I stopped it then. But since then I have not find any supplements that work even close to as good as c60.... I am thinking of trying another brand and give it another chance... The original brand I tried had Cellulose in it. I also have SIBO and I have heard people with SIBO don't do well with any form of Cellulose. That's why I am thinking maybe the Cellulose in the product gave me that headache and not C60.. Also, I have heard it's better to take C60 for 5 days, then stop for 2 and the start that cycle again.. I would be interested to know if anyone tried C60 and what was their experience?
High dose manganese. 50mg 1-3x per day.

SOD2 is Manganese-SOD which operates inside the mitochondria. (So if SOD2 is impaired, the mitochondria are impaired from the inside out.)

Mn is what’s helping me. I once tried C60 too and it helped, but didn’t understand my antioxidant issues back in the day. Now, taking large-dose manganese seems to be improving things.

There are warnings that high manganese intake can cause Parkinson’s, but I think that’s only when it’s inhaled and toxic. From what I remember, digestion only absorbs 1-10%. So 50mg ≈ 5mg absorbed at best, and that’s probably not typical.

I’ve taken 150mg tablets at once and it would lead to immense soothing or a deep nap, after which I feel normal. 50mg is less noticeable.

It’s also helping normalize my wild copper-zinc imbalance. I used to need a lot of copper to avoid extreme fatigue, as if my copper (or ceruloplasmin) wasn’t functioning. With Mn I now can go a week without copper, but need huge doses of zinc daily (implying my copper is working too well, and that I probably have excess from taking it).

My SOD2 / manganese issues began after taking licorice root as a tea, which is known to upregulate SOD2.

I’ve been using Natures Plus Mn 50mg but looks like it’s recently been discontinued. There are a handful of Mn 50mg on Amazon for good value, including by Solaray. This was a surprising discovery as Natures Plus was the only one I could find a year ago.