1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

SOD mimetic inhibits immune response in cerebral malaria

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by cigana, Jun 24, 2014.

1. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    It is interesting how this suggests that immune activation can be inhibited by an enzyme that prevents oxidative stress:
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0087140

A user on this forum @Bluebrid has found this mimetic to be very helpful.
    AbbyDear likes this.
  2. Bluebrid

Bluebrid

Tempol is often used in research to test whether or not a condition is related to free radical stress. Interesting that Tempol attenuated the hyper-coagulation and inflammatory response to cerebral malaria. It is most likely due to the improved cell signaling.

One of the infections I contracted prior to taking Tempol was severe babesiosis. Babesia is considered a “cousin” of malaria. Most people are able to clear babesia on their own. However with my genes, free radical stress and the toxins I had encountered, babesia was shutting down my immune system. The clotting issues were so bad, they thought I was having mini strokes -- and then I was hospitalized with a DVT and PEs. 2/3 of my lungs were full of clots by the time I got to the hospital.

In retrospect, the integrative MD said that the SOD SNP is most likely the reason I was not able to handle the babesiosis without intervention. As I had not yet found Tempol -- and it took over 6 months of high dose malaria meds to clear the infection. The meds, infections and clotting issues definitely took a toll on my body.
    AbbyDear, merylg and cigana like this.

See more popular forum discussions.