• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sock It To ME: a community public art project to raise awareness and funds.

jace

Off the fence
Adding a Word.doc to posts

talkingfox, to add a word document, (.doc), first click reply to thread, and go advanced.

Below the text box, find 'manage attachments' and click. this brings up a new box, and first, at the top left, click 'add files'
Now you have another box. At the top choose 'upload files from computer' then find your file in the pane that appears, and choose it.
Click 'upload file' and the progress is shown in the top box, which then dissapears, leaving your attachment in the bottom pane of the 'manage attachments' pane.
Click the button 'insert attachment, and then you get something like (ATTACH)134.doc(/ATTACH) in your composing box.

sc00c4106901..jpg

If folk double-click on your thumbnail, it will come up full size.

At least, that's how I've done it. I'm on mac though, I don't know the system windows uses to find files. And I'd love to be able to make the picture bigger in the post, but I don't know how! Case of the blind leading the blind!

Size and construction of socks and tapes

I think people should send socks that are maximum 15" long, top to heel, and 10" wide, heel to toe. Any size smaller is also OK. Tiny socks could be sent in pairs.

If people attach their sock/s to a tape , then they can write in the details of name/place/duration/disablility level themselves, which gives room for further self-expression. We need to ask them not to use the last 2" either end, so they can be joined without covering any of the message.

The tape is from a piece of strong canvas, upholstery vinyl, or leather. The variety of tape types would add impact to the whole.

If making from cloth that frays, people would need to cut a piece 20" x 3", and hem the long edges.

If making from non-fraying stuff, then ask them to cut 20" x 2"

The assemblers could fold back an inch of each tape, and staple/rivet/sew the tapes together. You could use an eyelet machine, if one can be borrowed, and that would also provide attachments to tie to lamp posts etc. Upholsterers, sailmakers and covermakers have this equipment.

This system could also provide the vertical stiffness. Advantage is it's simpler to describe, and will be more consistent. Disadvantage is it's more work at the centre, and once joined they are joined, so no buttoning up sections to suit the situation, unless you go Rolls Royce and rivet with LiftDot technology.

If people want to go with the other system I proposed, buttons and loops, I'll do a technical drawing, but they buttons seemed to frighten folk. :eek: and I gotta lay down for a bit now.

Love you guys, lets get this on.

talkingfox

for some odd reason the thing won't let me access files from my computer...only from a website. Wasn't like this before the update. hmmmm.

Jace , would you like me to PM you the pattern?

sarahg

Admin Assistant
you had me until the heel flap! oh how I hate heel flaps! I'm a short row heel (and toe) kinda girl. It's a cute pattern though and with this knowledge we can all make XMRV socks, hats, earwarmers, etc. Thanks for doing the math and working it out for us, it's a neat pattern. I will also get to you guys my top secret sock formula... just got a lot going on at the moment.

BEG

Yes? It's a pattern for knitting? Help. Is there a pattern for sewers? Or are we using store bought socks? Or is this an anything goes type of sock making thing? My brain must be checking out.

sarahg

Admin Assistant
Yes it is a knitting pattern, I'm sorry I missed your question. Yes, it seems to be an anything goes type thing and I bet what most people will do is decorate store bought socks any way you like.

talkingfox

you had me until the heel flap! oh how I hate heel flaps! I'm a short row heel (and toe) kinda girl. It's a cute pattern though and with this knowledge we can all make XMRV socks, hats, earwarmers, etc. Thanks for doing the math and working it out for us, it's a neat pattern. I will also get to you guys my top secret sock formula... just got a lot going on at the moment.

that was the idea Sarahg! basic socks pattern, but the stripe sequence is really where it's at. I was thinking beanie type hats :) or scarves even.

BEG

Yes it is a knitting pattern, I'm sorry I missed your question. Yes, it seems to be an anything goes type thing and I bet what most people will do is decorate store bought socks any way you like.

Thanks, sarahg! I appreciate your clarifying that for me.

P

Puppy_almighty

Hi I'm Puppy, I was brought here by Talkingfox and my desire to learn more. My interest started as an English paper for a research topic. I called upon my trusted friend Talkingfox and when she gave me the real 411 on the issue I became outraged at the situation and at the facts behind it. My simple english paper has evolved into a paper now its 13th week of writing. But, more important I have turned into an advocate and supporter again for the cause. I love the sock project idea and can help in any way. I can co-ordinate people, get socks, help with letter writing or sock stringing, placing phone calls, anything you need. I have taken the info I was passed by talkingfox and have started a game plan that included the u.s. Army information system. Please feel free to contact me with any needs and I'll do what I can to meet them as fully and as professionally as I can.

talkingfox

well Pupster...thanks for logging on and checking it out. I hope you find the crew as inspiring and illuminating as I have. :)

And also, thanks for stepping up to the plate...it's both needed and appreciated. Props.

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Welcome, Puppy_almighty; a fine friend in need! Many enthusiastic tail-wagging welcomes aboard.

I am wiped out as can be right now after Several Hours in Town, but I had some inspirationally helpful chitchat with my friend who is a nonprofits and fundraising whiz so as soon as I can I'll distill her thoughts and notes into a post. For now, my bumbly brain just wants to say hooray for socks.

talkingfox

that was the idea Sarahg! basic socks pattern, but the stripe sequence is really where it's at. I was thinking beanie type hats :) or scarves even.

Just a clarification on the Stripes...Gerwyn isolated one of the 2 unique segments of teh XMRV virus that expresses its major infectivity, and the stripe colors are based on the gene pairs of that segment. Thanks again Gerwyn.

jace

Off the fence
View attachment thigh socks..pdf is the thigh sock pattern.

The whole inevitable variety of the Sock It To ME garland, and it's infinite expandability, is part of it's charm. Hand-knitted, shop bought and personalised, sailcloth and cardboard-cut-out, old holey ones that reflect our ropey reality, it's all good. Think it's a good idea to keep it clean though!