A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Social Security nears its payout threshold

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by Robin, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Robin

Robin Guest

I'm going to copy and past this article because I think you need an account to view the link (but I'm not sure!)
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/business/economy/25social.html?hp

2. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    Those of us who get very little would not be able to manage if they cut our checks. It's very scary. We are just left, completely ignored.

3. Stuart

Stuart Senior Member

1. Stop the borrowing from the trust fund.

2. Uncap FICA contributions above $106,800. Warren Buffett is right on this.

Greenspan is the architect of our current financial crisis. Don't listen to him, he even did a mea culpa.

4. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    I agree that there is no way many people can survive on any less than they already pay us

if they would stop being so stupid and cosntantly borrowing from this fund, they woudln't have this problem.....we paid into it, no way shoudl we have to suffer bc they can't figure thigns out.....let's see those responsible for this mess try to live on what we are getting now, let alone what it would be like with any reduction

not to mention that they need to stop thinking/acting like it is only seniors facing this issue - I know I keep pointing this out, but it is true that they just refuse to acknowledge that people with disabilities coutn on this income.....when we truly cannot work, what esle are we supposed to do?

(& it is not that I don't feel for the seniors - I do, but if they are physically and cognitively able to work, at least they do still have that option - we don't.....and they generally are getting more moeny to start with anyway - the amt receieved on average by peopl with disabilities is substantially lower than that of most senriors)

5. Carrigon

Carrigon Senior Member

PA, USA
    Tammie, I think it's the misconceptions. They all think of people with disabilities as just people in wheelchairs who can still work at desk jobs. They don't think about those of us who cannot work at all due to our bodywide disabilities. They just ignore us and the fact that many of us got sick very young and did not get to build up enough of a work history to get a higher amount of social security. I have a healthy elderly family friend who gets in almost three times what I get in because she worked alot of years. She lives very comfortably on her check. I am almost half her age younger and get in a third of what she gets in. I don't live comfortably. There is no fairness there. It's not my fault that I got sick young and couldn't work. I'd be in big trouble if they cut my check. As it is, I live it fear of what will happen to me.

6. Fejal

Fejal *****

Who cares? All they have to do is trim the 650 billion dollar defense budget and health care would be no problem.

See more popular forum discussions.