• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

so many b12's, what do I need?

fibrodude84

I'm so confused by all the b12's.

I know Cyano is synthetic and the worst but do I need more than just methyl b12?

Hydroxy b12
Adeno b12
Dibencozide

How do I know which I need? Are there SNP's to check if I need the others besides methyl?

PeterPositive

You can start with methyl-B12, it's the active form and the most effective.

Hydroxy-B12 is not directly active in the body, so it requires extra transformation.

Adeno-B12 and Dibencozide are the same thing, another active form of B12 that you might want to add at a later time but it's not strictly necessary. Your body should be able to make Adeno-B12 from Methyl-B12.

( Some people find it useful, I do too )

Hope it helps

fibrodude84

Thank you but I read some have mutations whereby the body doesn't convert methyl to Adeno which creates mitochondrial problems and severe fatigue.

Would you know which SNP's to look at to see if conversion is an issue?

PeterPositive

Thank you but I read some have mutations whereby the body doesn't convert methyl to Adeno
I might be wrong, but I don't think SNPs will tell you that. Just a small percentage of SNPs is actually well known and documented, the others seem to be subject to a lot of speculations.

I have SNPs that some experts regard as being a no-go for methyl-B12 and yet I can take quite a lot of it.

As many people suggest here, it's best to try starting very low and being patient with increasing the dosage.

fibrodude84

I've been fine on the large doses but I just want to know if my body would need or benefit from the other types but maybe there isn't enough data on mutations.

PeterPositive

I've been fine on the large doses but I just want to know if my body would need or benefit from the other types but maybe there isn't enough data on mutations.
It depends on a large number of variables. If you're followed by a doctor who knows your history and is familiar with methylation issues, he might certainly advise you.

I have an ND and I also spent some time learning on my own, I try to get the best of both world and experiment a bit keeping a journal to keep track of changes.

For my hydroxy doesn't work. Methyl-B12 works well and adding Adeno-B12 has improved even more. I have the MTHFR 677++ mutation plus a host of other B12 transport and recycling issues.

If you're going to experiment with B12 make sure to also supplement with methylfolate to avoid methyl blocks, and look for a good B complex (with no folic acid, and cyano-B12) to keep the other Bs from going out of balance. That's usually the basic "setup" to get started.

fibrodude84

I also have 677t homo mutation. I just got the Thorne multi which has adeno and Methyl.

Hope adeno helps and doesn't upset anything.