• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

So isolated and alone living in shared accommodation with severe CFS/ME

@Snowdrop oh lol, I'm so sorry! :D I just assumed (not sure why) that you would know what I meant when I said 'North'....D'oh!!

It is Leeds. And I know, I have thought I need to put my location in my signature as it is really useful when other people know where you are, as like you say, they can suggest things or places near to you. Or just to be able to connect to people locally, which is what I want really. I've updated it now. Yes I have heard of Julia Newton at Newcastle, I think there was a study they were doing there a couple of years ago which I missed the deadline to take part in, only just. Which was a shame.

Yes Durham is another hour or so North from here.... so that's real North! :) It's great that you were able to come all the way over, but I'm really sorry that you have declined since. I can't imagine what that flight must have been like, must have been a bit of a killer. I've not flown since I became ill, so I'm not sure how I would manage. Toronto I've heard is a beautiful city, I hope that you are happy and stable where you are.

Thank you for your kind words. Being kind to myself I find hard, but I am working on it. I feel that this past year I've spent in real mourning, mourning the loss of my health, my late 20's and early 30's, being able to work, friendships and family relationships. If I come out of this I know I will come out a completely different person to how I went in, learning from all of the experiences I've had, good and bad and my life will never be the same again. I hope that doesn't sound too corny. The difficult thing is trying to retain some positivity through all of this change and loss. You are right there are lots of really fantastic resources to show people how this affects you day to day. I found a good one on the ME Association website, I think.

Hi @Basilico what you wrote there really touched me, and really resonates with how I feel that my encounters with people are. I've also gone through the same soul searching. I'm a good listener and I think that I have a really open friendly face and I think that attracts people to me as they know that I'll listen unconditionally and give them my time without setting boundaries. I know I'm my own worst enemy, but like you I really like helping people and can't turn people away or shut them down until they have emptied themselves of everything. I'm like you, overly empathetic. If you want to talk more about this feel free to PM me. Perhaps we can do some soul searching together.

Yes, you're so right, there are many wonderful people on here. I feel like I've found hundreds of listeners that I can pour my soul out to, and it's incredibly healing. :)

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
@Cap413

Not corny at all. You sound like you will be very good at getting things in hand.
Toronto is home so yeah for me it's a lovely place.

Today's armchair travel.

I know you can't visit but I'll share a little known fact (I think) about Toronto. It looks flat when you come to see it and walk around but it is anything but. There is a huge ravine system here so that (sort of like the opposite of San Francisco I always image) there are many valleys along the Don River watershed and the ravine system acts as parkland that is mostly walkable throughout the city.

L'engle

moogle
@Cap413 No need to reply as you've had a lot of responses to deal with. Just wanted to say that I've had people seeming to leave me out of the loop at times because they were worried about disturbing me. It may be that your roommate's motivations are mixed or else more positive than you fear. No idea, just wanted to be a little reassuring. :hug: