• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Smile or die: The dark side of positive thinking

JaimeS

To be clear, I'm not talking about Ricky Jarvais. I'm talking about the commenter who stated that cancer is karmic. Though Jarvais's humor is, to be plain, either sexual or cruel. While I don't turn my nose up at a dirty joke now and then, those two aspects are his entire repertoire. I'm not shocked he makes fun of disabled people; it seems right up his street.

-J

worldbackwards

To be clear, I'm not talking about Ricky Jarvais. I'm talking about the commenter who stated that cancer is karmic. Though Jarvais's humor is, to be plain, either sexual or cruel. While I don't turn my nose up at a dirty joke now and then, those two aspects are his entire repertoire. I'm not shocked he makes fun of disabled people; it seems right up his street.

-J
Yes, he's got a long and nasty charge sheet with this stuff. If karma was real he'd have been sat unattended in a care home for the last decade somewhere.

There is a difference between positive thinking and pure delusion. You can be hopeful and try to work hard in a bad situation and hope that things get better. Positive thinking help people get through bad situations and look forward to tomorrow.

However, if you are being delusional about stuff and pretend the problems just don't exist, that is when things start being a problem.

My way of positive thinking is, "Things are bad right now, I can work hard and make things better."

cmt12

There is a difference between positive thinking and pure delusion. You can be hopeful and try to work hard in a bad situation and hope that things get better. Positive thinking help people get through bad situations and look forward to tomorrow.

However, if you are being delusional about stuff and pretend the problems just don't exist, that is when things start being a problem.

My way of positive thinking is, "Things are bad right now, I can work hard and make things better."
Being delusional about the future is often beneficial. Anyone that achieved greatness was delusional about the future. However, being delusional about the present, about what currently exists, is always harmful. I agree with you.

cmt12

Experience says not everything in life can be turned into a positive.
I would say your current interpretation of that experience says that. Another interpretation could be that you haven't YET turned things around.