1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Chronic Fatigue Initiative and Interview with Mady Hornig
In a follow-up article to the recent IACFS/ME conference presentation in San Francisco, and after speaking at length with Dr. Mady Hornig, 'searcher' delves deeper into the impressive work being completed by the Chronic Fatigue Initiative, and focuses in on those cytokine results ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

SMILE - Lightening Process - Trial Feasibility Study Published

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Exactly - and hence my point. If only 250 kids were said to have been doing LP annually - it's hardly 'lots' is it? There was more to this being taken on at the time than is apparent now.

Lobbying I dare say. Perhaps a few 'known' people said they had found the LP useful to Esther, or she was seeing in clinic, parents whose kids were being pushed into this well-advertised therapy: and thought it should be tested.

I just don't see there was ever much of a case. It should be Phil Parker seeking to prove and provide evidence for his claims - not the NHS and not using the small funding we are able to obtain for ME.
    Bob, Valentijn, beaker and 1 other person like this.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Did a quickish Highwire search for 'cfs, children and adults' in abstracts and got 50 hits, many by Crawley, Wessely et al., but these two mention biochemical correlates:

http://archpedi.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=383727

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17561704

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Valentijn likes this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

The Sussex and Kent ME Society is one of the few patient groups happy to play along with the quacks, and seems keen on LP. Esther Crawley is their medical advisor.
    Bob and Valentijn like this.
  4. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    Maybe the LP, CBT, GET crowd would like to become political pollsters. Then their talents could truly shine.
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    And they have a number of other medical advisors:
    http://www.measussex.org.uk/About-Us-ME-Support-in-Brighton/meet-the-medical-advisors-experts.html

The Sussex and Kent ME Society do promote the Lightning Process, but perhaps they are quite careful with their wording.
    e.g:
    "...and alternative approaches such as Yoga, Nutrition, Acupuncture and Homeopathy along with the Lightning Process are rated highly by patients who have benefited from them."
    http://www.measussex.org.uk/Research/
    "During the event there was a debate about the effectiveness of the Lightning Process that is an alternative approach that is helping some with the illness quite dramatically."
    http://www.measussex.org.uk/Main/south-east-medical-conference.html

In a survey, that they carried out, 80% of those who responded to the particular question about the Lightning Process (it doesn't say how many responded to that question), said that the Lightning Process was helpful.
    But it should be noted that the Sussex and Kent ME Society may not be representative of the general ME population.
    Especially because it has historically accepted the cognitive-behavioural model, and has been involved with proponents of the cognitive-behavioural model, so patients who find this approach insulting or unhelpful may not stick around. It has a small membership, especially considering the combined population size of Sussex and Kent.
    Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Yes, and according to my memory (which is unreliable), the trial ethics committee completely accepted this argument.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    The feasibility study, that they've just published, is a part of the process of setting up a full trial. It tests the full trial's protocol and methodology on a smaller number of patients. I think they started designing the full trial years ago, and I think the 2010/11 literature relates to the full trial. But I don't know if the 2010/11 literature is includes any changes they made after the feasibility study. They haven't posted continuous updates, so it is quite confusing.
  8. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

Is this just a way of cherry picking of data early in the trial process (by seeing what the feasibility study says) so its less embarrassing than changing it once data has been collected like with the PACE trial.
    Valentijn, biophile, Esther12 and 3 others like this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, it does seem unsatisfactory that way. I think they should publish the data from the feasibility part of the study. It even seems somewhat unethical to collect all the data from the patients, requiring them to fill in lots of forms, and not publish it as they would have expected.
    Simon, Valentijn, user9876 and 3 others like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Also, the intention seemed to be to publish the data: why else have set primary and secondary outcomes? If you just wanted to see what comes back, one wouldn't need to divide outcomes into primary and secondary outcomes.
    Valentijn likes this.
  11. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

I'm a bit rusty on lightning process matters.

I'm planning on writing a quick e-letter on this saying that self-report measures are far from ideal for a trial of Lightning Process. Ideally I'd like to have a few references: I doubt there are suitable papers so webpages could do. Ideally first-hand descriptions of what is involved/being told to say you're well/don't have symptoms/don't have limitations. If anyone has any ideas, please reply or private message me. There are likely some in this thread or the other lightning process trial thread but I have other things I also need to be doing so would appreciate some help. Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    MeSci, Bob and biophile like this.
  12. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

MeSci, Valentijn, Bob and 2 others like this.
  13. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Includes 3 people with "CFS/ME" who got worse after LP

Sean, biophile and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.