• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SMCI Monthly Update Thread - April 2018

Emily Taylor

Hello from the Solve ME/CFS Initiative. We want to share our latest news and research with you, but we also want to respect your space and not spam the forums. In order to do that, we are starting a monthly thread where will we add all of the latest news from SMCI. Throughout the month we plan to use this thread to post our latest news and research.

Emily Taylor

Coming Soon: SMCI’s 2018 Webinar Series
The Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) is pleased to announce the return of our popular webinar series for 2018. The series focuses on bringing the latest research and developments in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome straight to your phone, computer, or tablet. The free SMCI Webinar series features thought leaders from academia, industry, and government agencies. READ MORE

Emily Taylor

SMCI Ramsay Awards 2017: Meet Research Team 3
SMCI supports worthy ME/CFS research projects across a range of disciplines. In 2017, we funded five research projects and their work is currently underway.

Fiona Newberry, a PhD candidate at Quadram Institute and the University of East Anglia in the U.K., is leading a Ramsay 2017 project exploring the role of the gut microbiome in ME/CFS. Dr. Simon Carding of the Carding group at Quadram Institute and Prof. Tom Wileman, Director of the Biomedical Research Centre at the University of East Anglia, are co-Investigators on the project. READ MORE

Emily Taylor

National ME/CFS Patient Registry Meet the Community Guide – Brian Vastag
The Solve ME/CFS Initiative (SMCI) National ME/CFS Patient Registry, developed in partnership with the Genetic Alliance and Platform for Engaging Everyone Responsibly (PEER), is readying for launch in the first half of 2018. As part of the roll-out, we will be publishing a series of articles in Research 1st about the features and benefits of the new platform. This article is the second in a series on the Registry Community Guides
READ MORE

Emily Taylor

SMCI MeetME Travel Awards: from the U.K. to Australia
SMCI is proud to have supported Fane Mensah (PhD candidate at University College London, Ramsay 2016 Team 2 member) with a meetME Travel Award to facilitate collaboration with Dr. Chris Armstrong, a metabolomics expert at Melbourne University in Australia. As part of their Ramsay Research Award supported project with Dr. Jo Cambridge (University College London), the team is examining the links between immune cell functioning and their metabolic capacities in ME/CFS patients, as compared to healthy controls. READ MORE

Emily Taylor

Association of chronic fatigue syndrome with premature telomere attrition
Unique insight into biological differences in ME/CFS has come out of a follow-up phase of the Georgia CFS Surveillance study, a longitudinal study of ME/CFS and fatiguing illnesses funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In their paper titled “Association of chronic fatigue syndrome with premature telomere attrition”, Mangalathu et al found a significant association of ME/CFS with premature telomere shortening. READ MORE

Emily Taylor

Value of Circulating Cytokine Profiling During Submaximal Exercise Testing in ME/CFS
Cytokines are a broad category of proteins that are important in immune cell signaling and the regulation of inflammation. Numerous studies have found evidence of disrupted cytokine profiles in individuals with ME/CFS, implicating the immune system and inflammation in the pathophysiology of the disease. READ MORE