1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Small molecule that inhibits androgen receptor could treat prostate cancer

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Rosemary, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Rosemary

Rosemary Senior Member

Can anyone please access this article ?

Androgen receptor

In vitro and mouse studies identified a small molecule from Geodia lindgreni that inhibits androgen receptor and could treat prostate cancer. Further details on the research, next steps and licensing status are discussed in the article.

http://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/v3/n24/full/scibx.2010.726.html

BTW Geodia lindgreni is a marine sponge
  2. FernRhizome

FernRhizome Senior Member

Rosemary:
    Maybe you should send this to WPI???? Or post it to their site? ~Fern
  3. Rosemary

Rosemary Senior Member

A good idea ! ... thanks Fern

Here is some further information

In vitro and mouse studies identified a small molecule from Geodia lindgreni that inhibits androgen receptor and could treat prostate cancer. Screening and in vitro testing of marine sponge extracts identified a compound that inhibited the N-terminal domain of androgen receptor. In three human prostate cancer cell lines, the compound reduced androgen receptor-dependent proliferation compared with no treatment. In mice with androgen-sensitive and castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) xenografts, the compound reduced tumor growth compared with no treatment. Ongoing work includes optimization of the lead compound.
    MDV3100, a triple-acting oral anti-androgen receptor from Medivation Inc. and Astellas Pharma Inc., is in Phase III testing to treat CRPC.
    Tokai Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s TOK-001, a selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM) and inhibitor of cytochrome P450 17 a-hydroxylase/C17, 20 lyase (CYP17), is in Phase I/II testing to treat CRPC.
    Aragon Pharmaceuticals Inc.'s ARN-509, a small molecule that binds androgen receptor, is in preclinical development to treat CRPC.

Patented by The University of British Columbia and the BC Cancer Agency; licensing status undisclosed

Andersen, R.J. et al. Cancer Cell; published online June 13, 2010;
    doi:10.1016/j.ccr.2010.04.027
    BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver,
    British Columbia, Canada
    e-mail:
    msadar@bcgsc.ca

See more popular forum discussions.