• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slow methylator? Methyl B12 intolerance?

Victronix

Taking Jarrow methylcobalamin 1000mg for two days made me feel like I'd just spent a big night out at a dodgy chinese restaurant. I woke up on the third day feeling like I have MSG poisoning. Is that what is meant by excitotoxicity ?

That sounds about right . . . although many people also get anxiety, sweating, waking up at night, etc (the 'excito' part, not just the 'toxicity' part). There is a whole rationale about the biochemical origins of the sick feelings of excitotoxicity, but I haven't followed them closely enough. Importantly, they do go away after a few days or weeks.

That sounds about right . . . although many people also get anxiety, sweating, waking up at night, etc (the 'excito' part, not just the 'toxicity' part). There is a whole rationale about the biochemical origins of the sick feelings of excitotoxicity, but I haven't followed them closely enough. Importantly, they do go away after a few days or weeks.

i forget to mention that I had been sleeping much better since taking a multi-B supplement, but the methyl-B caused terrible insomnia last night, maybe because I took it in the mornings and it made me feel drowsy all day. I was falling asleep at 6pm when I usually get sleepy about 10pm, however last night I couldn't get to sleep at all and was wide awake at 4am instead of my usual 6am wake up time.