• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Slightly elevated red blood cell count

anniekim

I found a copy of some blood tests I did quite a while back. I noticed it said my red blood cell count was high. 5.02 (ref range 3.80-4.9) so I presume 5.02 is only slightly elevated

My doc never said anything so I presume he is not concerned, but just wondering whether other people with m.e have elevated red blood cell count. Googling high rbc seems to suggest respiratory problems, alcoholism and high altitude, have none of these problems

Thanks in advance

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
if it gets too high u could have a condition called hemochromotosis(spelling??) and it can cause significant fatigue etc, treatment is giving blood every 3 months, although they dont use it but throw it out or sell it to vampires. Its worth keeping an eye on it.
and finding out if anyone else in your family has it as it can be genetic.

cheers!!!

Rlman

I also have slightly elevated RBC since the start of illness, as well as elevated hematocrit and hemoglobin. Are those markers elevated for you as well? Are the RBCs still elevated for you?