New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleeping! (calcium/magnesium ratio - hair analysis) (and no drugs)

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Mary, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    Magnesium oxide is really good for inducing diarrhea.

Glycinate, malate, etc. are not so likely to cause it.

2. liverock

liverock Senior Member

UK
    Taking increased amounts of magnesium can lower potassium levels which can raise blood pressure which maybe what is happening in your case.
    This is the wagon wheel in the article showing all the interactions with other minerals including potassium.(K)

http://www.traceelements.com/docs/Magnesium Wheels.pdf.

Try increasing your coconut water slowly, or whatever you take for increasing K, till you get a happy balance between Mg and K.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  3. Mary

Mary Forum Support Assistant

Southern California
    Good suggestion, but I keep a very close eye on my potassium. I've needed to take a little extra but not much. I'm very familiar with symptoms of low potassium - muscle spasm or cramps in my feet, lower legs and if it's low enough, severe fatigue. I drink low-sodium V8 plus take potassium gluconate - 800 - 1000 mg a day.

I believe though the magnesium did lower my phosphorous a bit (refeeding syndrome) and have supplemented extra in very small amounts.

I'm switching to a different form of magnesium (citrate/oxide blend) to see if that helps my BP.

4. PatJ

PatJ Forum Support Assistant

Canada
    I take magnesium at bedtime (with other supplements) to help with getting to sleep but I always wake up at 12-1am and sleep much more lightly (sometimes not at all). Thanks to your post I've started taking another dose of magnesium when I wake up in the middle of the night. I now sleep more deeply after midnight.

Kathevans and liverock like this.

See more popular forum discussions.