The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleep-wake rhythm disturbances and perceived sleep in adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Kalliope, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Sleep-wake rhythm disturbances and perceived sleep in adolescent chronic fatigue syndrome
    Study by among others professor Wyller. He is a controversial researcher as he doesn't use strict criteria on his patients and as he has a biopsycosocial approach to ME. He has a trial on music therapy as treatment for ME and applied for funds for a trial on Lightning Process (sic) as another treatment.

Still, this study could be of interest nevertheless.
    The study included 120 adolescent CFS-patients and 39 healthy individuals.

- The activity measures showed that the CFS patients stayed significantly longer in bed, had a significantly delayed mid-sleep time and a more varied sleep-wake rhythm during weekdays compared with healthy individuals. On the KSQ, the CFS patients reported significantly more insomnia symptoms, sleepiness, awakening problems and a longer sleep onset latency than healthy individuals. These results might indicate that disrupted sleep-wake phase could contribute to adolescent CFS; however, further investigations are warranted.

sb4, Invisible Woman, Sean and 2 others like this.
  2. anni66

anni66 mum to ME daughter

scotland
    Is this not evidence of dysfunctional HPA axis ?

3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

It was thought that circadian rhythm was controlled by the brain. Apparently this is not true.

Was just reading today about the Nobel prize in physiology being given to scientists researching CR.

This might be relevant: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/health/nobel-prize-medicine.html

anni66 and Kalliope like this.
  4. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    My impression is that disrupted sleep patterns are the result of ME/CFS, not the cause of ME/CFS.

Valentijn, Jo Best, anni66 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member

Scotland
    The usual back to front rubbish because it is easier to describe sleep with a questionnaire than actually do any science into the causes of ME. These people are second rate minds doing second rate research.

Snowdrop and Kalliope like this.

See more popular forum discussions.