• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep study tonight...please pray to the sleep gods that it goes well

soxfan

So I was supposed to have the study done on May 30th but they called yesterday and said there was a cancellation for tonight. I said yes so I can just get it done and not have to think about it for a month.
Last time I had it done at a hospital but this one is being done at a hotel. I hope it is quiet since sometimes they can be noisy.

I had one done in 2010 and only slept 2.5 hours. My sleep varies so much from night to night I just never know what will happen. Just 3 nights ago I had the adrenaline surging and slept about 3 hours but last night I slept extremely well.

I have to show up at 7:30 to get all wired up etc. I am going to make sure not to drink much later in the day because I really don't want to get up at night to have to use the bathroom. I am also on different sleep meds from the one in 2010 and I have a great meditation tape I got 2 weeks ago from my new doctor that is awesome and I listen to before bed.

I honestly wouldn't have even bothered with this again since I know my sleep is of poor quality but my insurance is covering 90 percent so I will give it another go. Will let you all know tomorrow how it went...They said 5 hours would be a good test so please give me a thought tonight....Thanks.

perchance dreamer

You might want to take a sleep mask because the O2 sensor they put on your forefinger gives off light. Also, I've found it common that once you start trying to sleep, the technicians make the room cold enough to hang meat. I think that's because there's some research saying that really cool rooms help sleep.

If it feels too cold, speak up.

soxfan

I am going to wear my warm pajamas and I will bring a sleep mask...thanks for that suggestion. I am also going to mention what happen during the last one I had and how the technician kept coming over the intercom asking me if I was alright....just because I had been laying there for 3 hours wide awake!

alex3619

Good luck. I am planning on a new sleep study myself in a few months.

The sleep study techs do freak if you don't fall asleep, dont they? Mine certainly did. Somehow they are not prepared for people who can't sleep ... doh.

Mij

I had a sleep study done at the hospital but they wouldn't allow me to take sleep meds. I guess it interfered with the test? The technician finally came in and told me to "try" to sleep. lol like I haven't been trying for 20yrs already. So eventually they allowed me my sleep meds because I was lying there wide awake until 2am and then they booted me out at 5:30 am.

So they are allowing you to take your meds which is good. I hope it goes well and I would agree with the ear plugs.

soxfan

It would be useless to do unless I could take my sleep meds...I would no question lay awake most of the night. I might even if I take them. They booted me out at 5:30 last time too but this one says 7:00 they kick you out. Nice thing is though you can go have a free breakfast at the hotel restaurant! I have my earplugs packed!

*GG*

I have to show up at 7:30 to get all wired up etc. I am going to make sure not to drink much later in the day because I really don't want to get up at night to have to use the bathroom. I am also on different sleep meds from the one in 2010 and I have a great meditation tape I got 2 weeks ago from my new doctor that is awesome and I listen to before bed.
Thanks.

Hope it went well!

GG

I am curious as to what the meditation tape is? Can you provide a link, sounds interesting!

soxfan

Well....I just got home from the study. I have to say having it at a hotel was great. They have their own sleep study wing which is closed off from the other part of the hotel. The room was nice etc. I had a terrible time falling asleep and was still awake at 11:30. I took way more klonopin then usual so I am extremely hungover right now. I really have no clue as to how long I actually slept because I didn't bring my watch just so I wouldn't look at it all night.

I finally fell asleep at some point then woke up and was awake again for quite a while. The tech came in to wake me at 6:20. She said she let me sleep a little longer then usual. I asked if I slept enough for a valid study and of course being very vague she responded that she thought so.

It was a much more pleasant experience then my first one and the tech was awesome. She didn't bother me as I lay awake for hours. It is just so upsetting since the night before I slept soooo good. I am not having any more of these
studies and see my doctor on the 29th to find out the results.

I took a shower when I was finished since I had all the gunk in my hair and then went to the dining room and had a great breakfast.
So even though I know I didn't sleep all that much it was a pretty good experience this time......

GG- The meditation tape is from Dr. Sullivan-Durand. I bought it at the office visit. There is a meditation part and a stretching part. I have only listened to the meditation/breathing relaxing portion.