• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep-monitoring gadget that isn't an app?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
My mom has that problem with earrings. She only uses the ones with the gold pins. She doesn't have problem with nickel otherwise though. And I mean nickels are made out of nickel in your country too, right? ;)

We don't have nickels! :) Unless any Americans have dropped them on the pavement...

Andielyn

I have both a Polar HRM and a Fitbit Flex. The Polar HRM is not suitable for measuring sleep and the Fitbit Flex is better at it. Not sure about the later Fitbit models. The positive about the Fitbit is you wear it 24/7, no chest strap. You don't need an app but you DO need then a laptop with a USB port to sync your data. There are two settings, normal and sensitive. I find it somewhat useful, probably as good as I'm going to get.

Andielyn

I still have a desktop. I do realize I'm a dinosaur, though, and should have my own room at the history museum. The plate in front of my exhibit would also say, Still Goes to Bank for Cash and Has Never Used ATM. Has Dumb Phone, Not Smart Phone.

Also, a sign that says "Still Has Cash, No Big Cell Phone Bill, Low Risk of Identity Theft. Considered Very Intelligent." :thumbsup:

JAH

Just been looking at reviews for the Fitbit Charge HR and am worried by this one that says that there's nickel in the wristband. I can't wear stud earrings because of what is presumably a nickel sensitivity (my earlobes weep and go crusty with cheap earrings :eek:).

Has anyone found this a problem?
I have the Fitbit HR, am very sensitive to almost all earrings and have no problem with it. You do need an app, though. You don't need the app to check your HR when you're awake, but it measures sleep by recording movement and HR, which the app will track.

I also have the zeo, but that requires an app. Zeo more accurate. The Fitbit will read rest as sleep.

You don't need a smartphone, have a tablet, iPad??

CantThink

If wanting to see just your HR and you don't have a smart phone/tablet, the Mio Alpha requires no other devices to operate it. It also does not have a chest strap.

The one I have is very simplistic so good if you are foggy. It is not a sleep nonitoring product, though you can of course wear it in bed. You can set alarms for high and low HR which is useful for pacing.