• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep makes me feel worse

Critterina

I've been trying to find a local naturopath M.d. to work with (I found a great one local but he can't see me until Feb. 2, 2015) and going to traditional doctors in the mean time, none of which have helped except to prescribe me the shingles antiviral meds. I've seen 4 so far over the last 3 months. Between them and the E.R. visits and the blood donation on 9/18/14, I've had so much blood drawn that my last CBC at the E.R. showed low hematocrit/rbc. That might be a factor in my seemingly weak immune system at the moment. None of the blood work has turned up anything except a slightly low Vitamin D (25 out of a 30-100 ref range).

Your hunch on the epsom salt baths is kind of wild because over the last 3 months that's the only thing that has made me consistently feel better. I'm religious about a hot epsom salt bath almost every night. And when I don't get one (like happened twice over this last 3 day period) it really turns on the insomnia.

I got about 8 hours last night. Got in bed at 10pm and woke up at 9:30am. I took 3mg of melatonin before bed and took another 3mg when i woke up at 5:30am. It took a while to get back to sleep, but all in all I think it was about 8 hours.

Thank you for the BCAA suggestion. That sounds definitely worth trying.
That is wild. My recipe (from my person) was 1 cup epsom salt, 1/2 cup sea salt, 1/4 cup baking soda, and to soak for at least 20 minutes. Are you using that much epsom? You might try this recipe, for giggles. You know, the BCAA was at the same time I was doing the epsom salts, but I could continue doing the baths, stop the BCAAs, and still have the insomnia.

I was never a pill/supplement taker, so I was kind of put off by all the stuff she put me on - but I started sleeping immediately. The BCAAs were the first thing to run out, and she didn't tell me to go get more when they did, so I tried a few days without. I called to ask if I should continue taking them, but didn't get a call back right away, and decided I needed more on my own. First day back on them, slept again. Not saying this will work the same for you.

Sounds like you need to start taking Vitamin D or sunbathing (yeah, in November!) For me, I had been on 6000 IU for 8-10 months, and while my D was higher than yours,it was still pretty low. I ended up taking 10,000 IU daily in order to get it in the top half of the normal range (and pretty close to half, not at the top end.) But my point here is that if you take Vitamin D, be sure to get it checked regularly.

Good luck to you! The best medical professionals are worth waiting for. And bringing in a good record of what has been going on and what you've tried and what effect it has had - that can shorten the time it takes for your doctor to really start helping.

knackers323

Maybe this sounds strange, but it's been very consistent over the last 3 months. I have severe insomnia, but I actually feel worse when I actually do manage to sleep. If I sleep for just a couple of hours I'll feel better within an hour or so. But, if I get 5-8 hours of sleep it makes me feel horrible the whole next day. My only theory right now is that it's cortisol related somehow, but I don't know enough to say that. Just guessing.

Any theories on this or seen this before?

Mate I am exactly the same, feel the worst in the morning and best at night, because its further away from when I last slept?

What's happening while were asleep?

You snore or have sleep apnea?

SwanRonson

Mate I am exactly the same, feel the worst in the morning and best at night, because its further away from when I last slept?

What's happening while were asleep?

You snore or have sleep apnea?

My sleep has improved a lot over the last 2 months. I've moved to a Ray Peat diet from the VLC diet I had been on for years. I now get a consistent 6-7 hours a night and I don't feel so lousy in the morning. I wouldn't say it's "refreshing" sleep yet, but it's definitely more restful.

I think it all may have to do with circadian rhythm malfunction. I still always feel better at night. And during the day I feel really crappy. Usually bottom out around lunch time. That is still the case. But the crappy window has shrunk to about 6 hours where it used to be most of the daylight hours.

Along with the Ray Peat diet I've also started wearing blue blocking glasses at night as soon as the sun goes down. I think all of this is helping the circadian rhythm correct itself slowly.