1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleep is not disrupted by exercise in patients with chronic fatigue syndromes

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

A new paper

2. CJB

CJB Senior Member

Oregon
    They needed to check days 1-3 after exercise, not just the night of.

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Authors seem to be looking for reasons to recommend exercise

Authors seem to be looking for reasons to recommend exercise

From discussion:
    Reference 1 is a review paper so I'm not sure if it mentions research that backs up the authors' claim or do Afari and Buchwald just speculate or extrapolate from fatigue samples.

I do not really know that much about human biology and exercise. But I have heard that exercise causes micro-trauma. The healthy group slept better after the exercise session but many of the CFS patients did not. Maybe it is necessary for the human body to sleep well or better after exercise for the body to heal sufficiently from the exercise. If this is the case, it may not be sufficient that the sleep for some of the CFS patients did not worsen (on most measures). It could be the case that the sleep in these CFS patients might not have been good enough to recover from the exercise and so they were left with some microtrauma in their muscles etc which might be why many patients have exercise muscle pain the day after exercise?

Unfortunately one can't send online comments to the journals and I won't be sending a letter as don't know enough to be sure.

4. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

It's really a difficult issue. I do indeed sleep better after exercise, my mental fatigue and brainfog improve, but of course there's PEM and it takes me at least 3 days to recover physically. Sometimes I can barely walk the next day. Like I've said before, it's a paradox.

5. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Huh? Even though symptom exacerbation may in fact occur, patients shouldn't worry about it because it's not caused by worse sleep? Oh, oh-kaaay then.:rolleyes:

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Good point. In some of their previous studies the reduction in activity didn't occur the day after the exercise but later.

See more popular forum discussions.