1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleep is improving, probiotics

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by madietodd, Jun 21, 2014.

1. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I've been following resistant starch posts here and elsewhere for a few months, and had been experimenting with potato starch and probiotics recommended in the resistant starch thread here. I had to take antibiotics in mid-March, which set me back to zero, but since the beginning of April I've increased my fiber, gone off and on potato starch, and consistently taken a probiotic every day.

When I started I was waking every 1.5 hours, with occasional nights where I woke every 2 hours. I would "sleep" for about 9 hours. Getting to sleep is not an issue for me.

Now I'm waking up 2ce, sometimes 3 times, and I sleep 7.5 to 8 hours. I slept through a massive thunderstorm a few night ago, which feels miraculous.

I don't take anything for sleep, or anything that affects sleep (like antihistamines). I haven't changed anything else in my routine, except for adding LDN at 0.25 a few days ago. [When I tried LDN in February at 0.5, it didn't affect my sleep.]

The probiotics I use are AOR Probiotic-3, Prescript-Assist, and Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.
    cigana, Thinktank and RustyJ like this.
  2. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    Which RS are you taking and why so many soil based organisms instead of lacto and bifido bacteria?
  3. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I'm taking 2T potato starch, and I added 1/2 tsp Larix [larch] starting yesterday. I got very sick in March after taking 4T potato starch for about a month, so I'm staying low for now. Plantain didn't agree with me at all.

I also take my Omega 3s in the form of flax and chia, which are healthy fibers but I don't know how they fit into the whole RS picture.

I'm incapable of understanding the complexities of the gut microbiome. I'm just guessing. I had been taking a regular probiotic for years, and never noticed anything from it. I did a lot of reading here and at freetheanimal.com, and decided to go with the recommendations of people who understand more than I do.

Each of these probiotics provides different strains, and I decided to go for diversity.
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I was told to take my probiotics at night--maybe for sleep? Don't know. When do you take yours?

Sushi
  5. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    I take probiotics in the morning with the RS, flax, and chia. If I wait until afternoon, I'm too full and I forget. I've never noticed a time of day effect, but I'll watch now.

See more popular forum discussions.