• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep is improving, probiotics

maddietod

I've been following resistant starch posts here and elsewhere for a few months, and had been experimenting with potato starch and probiotics recommended in the resistant starch thread here. I had to take antibiotics in mid-March, which set me back to zero, but since the beginning of April I've increased my fiber, gone off and on potato starch, and consistently taken a probiotic every day.

When I started I was waking every 1.5 hours, with occasional nights where I woke every 2 hours. I would "sleep" for about 9 hours. Getting to sleep is not an issue for me.

Now I'm waking up 2ce, sometimes 3 times, and I sleep 7.5 to 8 hours. I slept through a massive thunderstorm a few night ago, which feels miraculous.

I don't take anything for sleep, or anything that affects sleep (like antihistamines). I haven't changed anything else in my routine, except for adding LDN at 0.25 a few days ago. [When I tried LDN in February at 0.5, it didn't affect my sleep.]

The probiotics I use are AOR Probiotic-3, Prescript-Assist, and Garden of Life Primal Defense Ultra.

maddietod

I'm taking 2T potato starch, and I added 1/2 tsp Larix [larch] starting yesterday. I got very sick in March after taking 4T potato starch for about a month, so I'm staying low for now. Plantain didn't agree with me at all.

I also take my Omega 3s in the form of flax and chia, which are healthy fibers but I don't know how they fit into the whole RS picture.

I'm incapable of understanding the complexities of the gut microbiome. I'm just guessing. I had been taking a regular probiotic for years, and never noticed anything from it. I did a lot of reading here and at freetheanimal.com, and decided to go with the recommendations of people who understand more than I do.

Each of these probiotics provides different strains, and I decided to go for diversity.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I was told to take my probiotics at night--maybe for sleep? Don't know. When do you take yours?

Sushi

maddietod

I take probiotics in the morning with the RS, flax, and chia. If I wait until afternoon, I'm too full and I forget. I've never noticed a time of day effect, but I'll watch now.

Zensational

I just started taking Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch. (resistant starch prebiotic) I have not had the stomach cramping some seem to have. So far I love it. I have had the most peaceful sleep in a long time. This is on just two nights. Last night I took 1 tablespoonful. I'm going to slowly increase it. It does so much for the body all the way through the digestive process. And it's cheap!!!!! I ordered the Primal Defense probiotic to take with it. I take the RS with Citricel.
This is a really good video I found explaining the health benefits of RS.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3KtR3LoqM
I am also doing the Paleo diet for about a month now. I was diagnosed with severe fatty liver disease so that was a wake up call for me. I am taking supplement to support that as well.
We added Lomitium herb to our regime. The powerful anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties of Lomatium dissectum
gave my husband a rash the first go around. He added in a couple of grams of Vitamin C to prevent the rash. We are also taking Olive Leaf Extract.
It may take a while for me to lose the 20-30 pounds I've gained as a result on the liver being congested.

Crux

I would guess that it's some of the GABA producing bacteria in the 'Garden of Life' brand.

@Zensational , Choline deficiency is strongly associated with NAFLD. Some gut bacteria can interfere with the metabolism of choline.