1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleep Hormone - Restores Vigor

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by hope love light, Aug 28, 2011.

1. hope love light

hope love light

East Coast, US
    Hi All,

Here is a link to an article about what some researchers are finding with sleep hormones and chronic illness...

Sleep hormone restores vigor and reverses apathy in sickness, Oregon scientists report

Getting sick can make anyone fell listless and blah, and some chronic conditions leave people feeling that way all the time.

Now Portland scientists have found a way to reverse such illness-induced lethargy. They used a naturally occurring brain hormone called orexin, already known to be pivotal in regulating sleep in people, to restore normal activity in laboratory animals.

The research shows how it may be possible to make a pill to restore vigor in people suffering from chronic fatigue and apathy brought on by cancer, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, and many other conditions without the side-effects of stimulants such as caffeine or amphetamines.

Read More of the Article -

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2011/08/sleep_hormone_restores_vigor_a.html

Hope Love Light
    WillowJ and SOC like this.
  2. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    I want some!!
  3. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama
    I want some too. How do you get it, I never heard of it?
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    i want an anti-orexin drug, maybe i might sleep better, but if i dont need much sleep on orexin then i will take orexin. oh just give me uppers and downers, its like a yoyo.

cheers!!!
  5. K2 for Hope

K2 for Hope ALways Hoping

Jacksonville, FL 32258
    Interesting article. Sounds like it may be some time before anything would be ready for human use, but at least, it appears, there is research being done even if not specifically for ME/CFS.

They do mention ""CFS" as a Chronic illness along with kidney disease, heart disease and cancer. ME/CFS is being recognized as a critical chronic illness with the same potential suffering someone with the other mentioned illness would have.

Thanks for the info.
  6. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama
    I was so excited about it that missed the part about it being years away. Lets hope it is sooner.

See more popular forum discussions.