1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
In Brief: The Adrenal Glands and ME
The second in a new series of ‘In Brief’ articles, where Andrew Gladman provides a helpful insight into the science behind fairly common topics, exploring how they relate to ME/CFS. This time he discusses the adrenal glands and why they can be such a talking point ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Sleep Apnea & Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM)

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by elbosque, May 22, 2012.

1. elbosque

elbosque

Just wondering if any other people with Sleep Apnea (SA) and ME/CFS have noticed their Sleep Apnea episodes (Apnea-Hypopnea Index - AHI) sky-rocket while suffering from Post-Exertional Malaise (PEM). Before I had my ME/CFS diagnosis I was diagnosed with very bad SA. I was hopeful that SA was my only problem. Nine months later I was diagnosed with ME/CFS after my symptoms stayed the same and some got worse. Seven months after being on the CPAP machine I was sent for a sleep study. I was particularly feeling PEM that day. The technician said they had to push the air pressure way up to get me into a REM sleep. I didn't think much about that then. However, over the last 12 months I have noticed that my AHI will go up nearly 500% when I feel very fatigued from over doing it. If I have been pacing myself well and not overdoing it, my AHI will usually be 0.8 to 1.5. When I overdo it or am stressed out, my AHI can hit 5.0.

See more popular forum discussions.