• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sleep and Brain Energy Levels: ATP changes during sleep

nanonug

COMMENT: Here's a possible explanation for why sleep is not restorative in SEID (this obviously assumes that ATP production is impaired in SEID.) This suggests that for those taking dichloroacetate (like myself), the highest dosage (if there is a difference) should be after dinner and not after breakfast. This should hopefully lead to more restorative sleep and possible elimination of brain fog.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2917728/

Abstract
Sleep is one of the most pervasive biological phenomena, but one whose function remains elusive. Although many theories of function, indirect evidence, and even common sense suggest sleep is needed for an increase in brain energy, brain energy levels have not been directly measured with modern technology. We here report that ATP levels, the energy currency of brain cells, show a surge in the initial hours of spontaneous sleep in wake-active but not in sleep-active brain regions of rat. The surge is dependent on sleep but not time of day, since preventing sleep by gentle handling of rats for 3 h or 6 h also prevents the surge in ATP. A significant positive correlation was observed between the surge in ATP and EEG NREM delta activity (0.5–4.5 Hz) during spontaneous sleep. Inducing sleep and delta activity by adenosine infusion into basal forebrain during the normally active dark period also increases ATP. Taken together, these observations suggest that the surge in ATP occurs when the neuronal activity is reduced, as occurs during sleep. The levels of phosphorylated AMP-activated protein kinase (P-AMPK), well known for its role in cellular energy sensing and regulation, and ATP show reciprocal changes. P-AMPK levels are lower during the sleep-induced ATP surge than during wake or sleep deprivation. Taken together, these results suggest that sleep-induced surge in ATP and the decrease in P-AMPK levels set the stage for increased anabolic processes during sleep and provides insight into the molecular events leading to the restorative biosynthetic processes occurring during sleep.

nihms217710f1.jpg

*GG*

Thanks for posting all that you do, but I find most of it hard to read (large blocks of text), so I am modifing your post a little :)

Sleep is one of the most pervasive biological phenomena, but one whose function remains elusive. Although many theories of function, indirect evidence, and even common sense suggest sleep is needed for an increase in brain energy, brain energy levels have not been directly measured with modern technology.

We here report that ATP levels, the energy currency of brain cells, show a surge in the initial hours of spontaneous sleep in wake-active but not in sleep-active brain regions of rat. The surge is dependent on sleep but not time of day, since preventing sleep by gentle handling of rats for 3 h or 6 h also prevents the surge in ATP.

A significant positive correlation was observed between the surge in ATP and EEG NREM delta activity (0.5–4.5 Hz) during spontaneous sleep. Inducing sleep and delta activity by adenosine infusion into basal forebrain during the normally active dark period also increases ATP. Taken together, these observations suggest that the surge in ATP occurs when the neuronal activity is reduced, as occurs during sleep.

The levels of phosphorylated AMP-activated protein kinase (P-AMPK), well known for its role in cellular energy sensing and regulation, and ATP show reciprocal changes. P-AMPK levels are lower during the sleep-induced ATP surge than during wake or sleep deprivation.

Taken together, these results suggest that sleep-induced surge in ATP and the decrease in P-AMPK levels set the stage for increased anabolic processes during sleep and provides insight into the molecular events leading to the restorative biosynthetic processes occurring during sleep.

GG

Dechi

I didn’t read the whole thing but would it explain why I feel the most horrible after I wake up, and it takes me a good 2-3 hours to get out of that state ?

nanonug

I didn’t read the whole thing but would it explain why I feel the most horrible after I wake up, and it takes me a good 2-3 hours to get out of that state ?

Maybe, although I don't have a readily available explanation for the 2 or 3 hour delay. I guess that, if one doesn't produce enough ATP during the night (based on the above paper), the brain won't have enough energy in the morning to fully wake-up. But this is just speculation on my part.

Dan_USAAZ

COMMENT: Here's a possible explanation for why sleep is not restorative in SEID (this obviously assumes that ATP production is impaired in SEID.) This suggests that for those taking dichloroacetate (like myself), the highest dosage (if there is a difference) should be after dinner and not after breakfast. This should hopefully lead to more restorative sleep and possible elimination of brain fog.

For clarification, if I am taking 500mg DCA BID, I should take one in the morning and one at night? If I am going to increase to 1500mg, I should take 500mg in the morning and 1000mg at night?

Also, do you know if DCA should be taken with food at meal time or on an empty stomach with just water?

Thanks for your input. I hope to start my trial soon and will report back.

nanonug

For clarification, if I am taking 500mg DCA BID, I should take one in the morning and one at night?

That's how it's usually taken, 12 hours apart.

If I am going to increase to 1500mg, I should take 500mg in the morning and 1000mg at night?

That's what I am currently doing. When I was doing it the other way around, it was taking me a few hours for my brain to fully "engage."

Also, do you know if DCA should be taken with food at meal time or on an empty stomach with just water?

I always take mine immediately after breakfast and dinner. I've never seen any recommendation either way, though.