Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Skyrocketing BP and HR after eating

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by JaimeS, Aug 9, 2017.

1. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I saw a video that said an increase over 25% signals an allergy or sensitivity.
    I have develop some over time that comes and go.
    POTs also create some gut mobility issues but the symptoms are more like indigestion type I think. Vs just an increase on HR and bf.
    My humble observation

ladycatlover likes this.
  2. sb4

sb4 Senior Member

United Kingdom
    @JaimeS I have similar symptoms but with everything I consume, even water. I'm sure that the major factor for me is POTS. I have been doing transdermal thiamine over the last week or so and it has definitely helped these symptoms.

echobravo, ladycatlover and JaimeS like this.
  3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I looked into this and found a page that said that high fructose corn syrup actually has less sulfur (sulfites?) than regular corn syrup. Since I have no problem with regular corn syrup, it doesn't seem like it could be the sulfur.

I did run across some mention of an HFCS "allergy" which can be so extreme as to produced anaphylaxis, but it is thought to be a "corn" allergy - and, again, I can eat other forms of corn without a problem.

My best guess is that, post ME-onset, some system regards HFCS as being a LOT of sugar and so a lot of insulin is released. That crashes the blood sugar level, and the anaphylaxis-like symptoms are the result of a lot of adrenaline being released to combat that.

There is something similar called andrenergic postprandrial syndrome, but that comes on much more slowly and is thought to be caused by (surprise) anxiety.:bang-head:

I kind of doubt that I have anxieties that only manifest when I unwittingly (or wittingly) consume HFCS.

ladycatlover likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Grapes are not really high sugar. Most berries are lower in sugar than regular fruit. So the nutrient/sugar ratio is good. We had an exercise at uni to calculate how many grapes you would have to eat to meet energy needs. Its a large number of kilograms. maybe seven or so. I am not sure I could even eat seven kilos of grapes in a day if I wanted to. I could be misremembering the details though, this was from 15 or more years ago.

ladycatlover likes this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Modern data, as you are well aware, indicate ME may be another kind of glucose intolerance disorder. There is probably a maximum capacity, it may vary, and over that there might be issues.

My post prandial issues do not involve elevated heart rate, but I do not have POTS either, just NMH. I have eaten all sorts of food to test my reaction and there is no consistent reaction. When this happened in hospital my bp was fine. That does not tell me what my circulation was in my brain though. So cue severe brain fog and sleepiness, but with normal blood sugar and blood pressure.

I can eat high carbs, high fat, and high protein without a reaction. I do get a problem with wheat. I used to be salicylate sensitive but I tolerate them more now.

One thing I have become aware of is that our tolerance changes over time, and is often worse. I used to have no issue with wheat, and now its a big problem. I do not think this is a gluten reaction. So things which used to be safe may no longer be safe. Its slow and difficult to work this stuff out.

Hutan, Helen, JaimeS and 3 others like this.
  6. Thewonders92

Thewonders92

Over what period of time did you go from being able to tolerate wheat to not being able to?

7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I don't know. Maybe eight years. But because I did not suspect wheat after testing wheat earlier on it took like a decade for me to retest wheat.

8. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Mine was slow, too. I remember in my very early twenties getting a far worse 'carb coma' than my friends, and by mid-twenties I'd decided carbs were only okay if they came with fat and/or protein also (a bagel with peanut butter, e.g.). By late 20s I was avoiding gluten and carbs completely.

See more popular forum discussions.