• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skin reacting to certain foods

There are a handful of foods that make me feel worse within a few days of eating them. The obvious thing to do is just stay away from them, but I want to learn why I'm "reacting" to these specific foods.

Yeast (I can "handle" pasta fine but not bread, so I don't think it's gluten. Also brewers yeast and beer are terrible for me)
Mushrooms (B-glucan?)
Oat bran (B-glucan?)
High pectin fruits (apple, pear, orange. Also bananas)
Cheese

I introduce these things, at a noticeable quantity, into my diet and my seborrheic dermatitis goes out of control and my scalp and brows start itching like crazy, red irritated skin, flakes everywhere, around my nose and cheeks as well.
Also my eyes get red and irritated, post nasal drip and my body odor gets "worse". I don't have an immediate reaction, but within a day or two my brows, nose and scalp are red, flaky and hot from all the scratching.

What's going on here? Are these foods feeding wrong bacteria/yeast and provoking an immune response?
Leaky gut?

I put this post in the Gut-forum because this has to be either that or an immune system issue (both?), right?

If anyone has any papers or studies pertaining to any of this, please link them!

Last edited: