1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Skin heals very slowly

Discussion in 'Skeleton, Skin, Muscles, Hair, Teeth, and Nails' started by DownTheRabbitHole, Jun 14, 2014.

1. DownTheRabbitHole

DownTheRabbitHole

My skin heals very slowly. If I get significant enough skin damage, I have to put something like Bionect on it or it won't heal and the skin will deteriorate down to the sub-dermal layers in some cases. This has started getting worse and worse over the past couple of years and I can't figure out why

Less than a year ago I found out about the various genetic mutations I have and I have tried to address the biggest (MTHFR, CBS, VDR, COMT) as best I can.

I'm 34 and eat a clean healthy diet and exercise regularly.

Does anyone see anything in my SNPs that could cause this?

+/+ COMT V158M, COMT H62H, MAO-A R297R, MTHFR A1298C, ACE Del16, BHMT R239Q, MTHFS, MTHFD1 C105T, MTHFR (rs1476413, rs3737964, rs4846048, rs4846049, rs6495446), PEMT (rs4646406), NAT2 R197Q

+/- VDR Bsm, VDR Taq, MTRR A66G, MTRR K350A, MTRR A664A, CBS C699T, ADD1 G460W, AGT M235T/C4072T, CBS A13637G, DAO, DHFR, FUT2 (rs492602, rs601338, rs602662), MTHFD1L, MTRR-11 A664A, GAD1 (rs3749034, rs2241165, rs12185692, rs10432420), GAD1 (rs2058725, rs3791850), MTRR (rs1532268, rs9332), NOS2 (rs2297518), NOS3 (rs1800783, rs1800779, rs3918188), SHMT2, TCN2 C766G, CYP1B1 L432V, CYP1B1 N453S, CYP1B1 R48G, CYP2C9*2 C430T, CYP2D6 S486T, CYP2D6 2850C>T, GSTP1 I105V

melamine and Allyson like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Don't know about your SNPs but I read some time back that a lack of Vit C can lead to your body not being able to make collagen and hence to slow wound-healing. I was interested because I get burst blood vessels in my eyes when I sneeze hard (apparently a sign that the blood vessels aren't strong enough due to lack of collagen) and managed to get that under control by taking 1g Vit C a day.

I now think I may generally be deficient in it and am trying liposomal Vit C, which gets much more into the bloodstream - we've got a couple of threads going on that (just put 'liposomal' in the search box!).

3. DownTheRabbitHole

DownTheRabbitHole

I actually take Vitamin C every day and my diet is also rich in it. I had my micro-nutrients tested and my C levels are highly optimized.

I don't think it is a collagen issue either. My face looks almost the same as it did nearly 20 years ago. Most people mistake me for a high schooler (which is actually annoying in a way).

I did find out I have very low glutathione, which I have yet to figure out how to optimize it safely despite many improvements to my diet.

CantThink and Sasha like this.
  4. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    low zinc is known for slow healing. do you have fingernail ridges?

5. manna

manna Senior Member

In chinese medicine, i believe slow wound healing is thought to be a weak spleen. Aparently it governs the quality and consistency of the blood and hence how it heals and stays in the vessels. I imagine it can be helped while you have mecfs but ultimately i think it'd be there, in some degree, whilst you have the illness.

melamine likes this.
  6. DownTheRabbitHole

DownTheRabbitHole

My zinc is optimal (along with my other minerals).

No idea about spleen function. How would I test that?

7. Butydoc

Butydoc President

Hi Sasha,

Vitamin c deficiency causes scurvy. For scurvy to develope, you need the near complete lack of vitamin c for a prolonged period. People with scurvy will notice old scars start to widen and even open. This was a common problem among sea goers many years ago when on prolonged voyages. Vitamin c is required for cross linking of collagen which makes the collagen strong.
    In my experience, slow wound healing is noticed in people with diabetes, peripheral arterial disease, steroid use, chemotherapy, autoimmune diseases like scleroderma and severe malnutrition.

Best,
    Gary

Sasha likes this.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi Gary - isn't scurvy essentially the final stages of extremely severe Vit C deficiency with milder symptoms reflecting milder deficiency?

9. DownTheRabbitHole

DownTheRabbitHole

Of which I have none of those as culprits....including the long voyages at sea. :-/

Sasha likes this.
  10. Butydoc

Butydoc President

Hi Sasha,
    I was the director of a busy wound care unit for more than a decade and have never seen a case of scurvy. I'm not sure if there is a mild form of the deficiency. In my experence there is always a cause of slow wound healing.

Best,
    Gary

Sasha likes this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Gary - I've been mugging up on Vit C but as a layperson it's hard for me to judge whether what I'm reading is likely to be accurate or not. In Dr Thomas E. Levy's book on Vit C (with the schlocky title 'Primal Panacea') I've read that oxidative stress increases demand for Vit C so that conditions such as ME, viral infections and so on mean that you don't have enough Vit C, and that lack of Vit C can cause various conditions before it gets so extreme that it causes scurvy. I really don't have the knowledge to judge it, but certainly the disappearance of endless burst blood vessels in my eyes once I started supplementing even with 1g/day makes me open to the possibility that there's something in it.

During my first bout of ME many years back, during which I was bedbound, I titrated my daily dose up to bowel tolerance (which is 1 or 2 grammes for healthy people) and found it was 50g, which suggests to me that there's something in that. However, even though I was prescribed IV Vit C as well as later taking it orally, it didn't do anything for me that I can remember - I didn't keep a detailed, daily symptom diary then like I do now.

12. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    does it vary in different parts of your body ?

is is slower on e legs for example?

DO you have any unusual scarring?

Ally

13. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Most likely Low igf1 causing this aka growth hormone

14. DownTheRabbitHole

DownTheRabbitHole

Doesn't matter which part of my body it is on. Same effect. Also, I generally don't scar at all. When I finally heal, I heal very cleanly.

Through process of elimination I figured this out, but it really should have been pretty obvious: alcohol

I was having a glass of wine or two every night. When I reduced my drinking to once per week, minor wounds that wouldn't heal for over a week now heal in 2 days. That's what I get for going with the common wisdom that glass of wine a day is actually good for health...at least, it isn't when applied to my genetic profile. Your mileage may vary.

melamine likes this.
  15. Donaldchris

Donaldchris

USA
    Well People with scurvy will observe old scars, start to expand and even start. This was a prevalent issue among sea goers many years ago when on prolonged voyages. Vitamin C is needed for cross linking of collagen which makes the collagen powerful.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.