1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Six strains of XMRV so far!

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by FernRhizome, Apr 10, 2010.

1. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    I know this has been mentioned/discussed in several other threads here but I can't remember where. I am still confused about the 4:1 female/male ratio that have ME/CFS. From this paper;

Now, the part about...

Do we know anything yet about how estrogen and progesterone and how it may work here?

It is so strange the similarities btwn autism and ME/CFS but the main difference is that the ration is 4:1 male/female ratio for autism is the exact opposite of the ratio for ME/CFS.
  2. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

I wonder if it is connected with androgens releasing XMRV from latency .if XMRV in situ acts as a gene(regulator) that may explain the ratios in ME. The autisms ratios vary with age.
  3. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    Thank you Gerwyn but I still do not understand. Many of our kiddos with autism develop worse seizures during puberty. My son, for example, went from having absence seizures to grand mal seizures when he turned 10. So.... I think I do understand the male/ration in autism if XMRV is implicated in a subset of children with autism. However, I still do not understand the rational for the 4:1 female/male ratio in ME. Sorry if I do appear dense but I as I mentioned many times before, my forte is not in science. I am trying very hard to wrap my brains around this.
  4. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

I find the ME easier to understand.If XMRV is acting as a gene manipulator when inserted.it does not do so when released from latency.At puberty boys start inceasing testestrone releasing active virus which no longer does its dirty work reducing considerably the incidence of ME in males.The increasing amount of free virus could be more neurotoxic possibly causing more seisure type problems. that is just my theory
  5. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Nay sir, that is a speculation. Or, if you like, a hypothesis. But if you call that a theory I shall challenge you to a duel!

groundhogduel..jpg
  6. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

7. JillBohr

JillBohr Senior Member

Columbus, OH
    I was going to say, "Are you talking to me?, Are you talking to me? I do not do theories nor speculate. I am a non-scientist and I just throw sh&@ against a wall and see what sticks. I wish scientists would try that method. We would move much faster and be well by now. Heee Heee. O.K. I have a strange laugh as well as strange methods.
  8. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    i thought thats what they were doing with the CFS/CBT clinics, throw evryone at it, and the ones that stick get to be part of a research cohort.

Problem is the pile on the ground is starting to obscure their aim.;)
  9. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

I am quite satisfied that I was not forced to exterminate you on this occasion, as your speculation was a most intriguing bit of mildly educated speculation. But I do hope for your own sake, sir -- should we ever meet on the field of honor -- that you aim better than you spell.
  10. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Flybro you #!@$*d up my line! :Retro mad:

And stole the one I was going to use for Jill!! :Retro mad::D
  11. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    Great minds Dr Yes, great minds.
  12. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

Sir i note that your spelling has much to be desired As for your grammar a line Sir a line...you have been keeping the company of too many rodents .of course if they happen to be your kin then I can imagine that you find that hard to avoid
  13. citybug

citybug Senior Member

NY
    Is testing done these days on any of these by CFS doctors? Is HTLV2 a possiblity for some, or is it ruled out if you know more about it?

Re: the ratio: The men that I know with the disease are much more able to walk with more cognitive difficulties than the women I know. (I've been wishing there was a poll about that). Possibly men are underdiagnosed due to this? Also XMRV communicability through sperm would make more women susceptible to infection.

Enjoying the duel!
  14. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Sir, I shall avoid discussing matters of kinship with you, as you are a Welshman, and have the blood of ravished sheep coursing through your veins.

It is, alas, my unfortunate duty as a scientist to inform you of research that has been conducted in your land of ancestry:

Sir, I take no joy in this.
  15. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

16. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    Gentlemen, gentlemen. Some decorum please!

Speciesism will not do. Sheep jokes and rodent jibes are beneath you both.

However, they are not beneath me.

From now on leave the gutter to those best placed to exploit it (plebs of my ilk, with a plethora of questionable material and an adequate supply of...no, I won't go there).
  17. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i think its the envelope proteins that are thought to be causing the inflammation and all the problems. they are working on a drug to target these proteins.

i also dont quite understand how drugs can work if the virus isnt replicating much. if it has integrated into the genome of a bunch of cells at a place that can trigger all these problems, how can we touch it then?

if we stop replication, do we have to wait for the body to eventually kill off most of the infected cells?
  18. guest

guest Guest

If we have 6 strains of XMRV so far, does this mean that current tests just pick up one strain and need to be improved?
  19. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I think so and for that a good working inmunesystem is needed.
  20. guest

guest Guest

Sorry for asking again but if we have 6 strains of XMRV does this mean that we need 6 different tests and that current tests miss 5?

See more popular forum discussions.