1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Six strains of XMRV so far!

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by FernRhizome, Apr 10, 2010.

1. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    The paper asks a lot of very interesting questions which future research will need to answer, hopefully soon.

2. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Another interesting 'tidbit':

[​IMG]

3. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Here's a cautionary warning regarding antiretroviral treatment:

4. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I don't mind this skepticism at all. This paper takes CFS seriously and is looking at real studies. Ain't it grand?

Another author comment.

5. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

6. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Right, the vast majority of us on this board don't mind informed skepticism offered in professional, good faith. Indeed, we seek it out so that we can be better informed.
    We object to the corrupt and unprofessional (Wessley et al) and those who offer skepticism because they're being patronizing (they know better than us) or acting based on emotion (they're somehow threatened by the outcome).
    This is good stuff.

7. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

I agree Gracenote; I don't mind that comment in context (but I would say that 'objectivity' is the word he should have used... most doctors I run into are over-skeptical about CFS to the point of losing objectivity). What really bugs me about that passage is that he knocks a bunch of pathogens that are still being investigated as potentially causative! I also don't know why he considers findings on low natural killer cell activity insignificant or as some sort of red herring; the WPI certainly doesn't. Comments like that will make it more difficult for us if XMRV turns out NOT to be a causative agent; they just add to the pile of rubbish that buries other significant findings in ME/CFS research.

8. hvs

hvs Senior Member

Great point, Dr. Yes. It's not like we've ever had the money to do big studies of EBV, HHV6, genes, NK cells, RNaseL, PEM, etc. etc. We haven't had the basic shoeleather epidemiology that other diseases have. Unbelievable how much goes back to that central traumatic event in this narrative--CDC trainee Gary Holmes' junket to Tahoe followed by the capture of CFS by James Jones and Emory.

9. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    When I first heard XMRV originated from mice, my first thought in regards to the media was: The New Plague (yeah, I know it was rats, but you catch my drift). It makes sense there could be many more people infected, than there are with other viruses. Mice are everywhere, particularly in the western world, and there always pretty close to us.

I hate those mieces to pieces!!!

The biggest scandal out of all of this, is if someone had a suspicion that a retrovirus as been secretly infecting humans for generations, and the powers did nothing. Funnily enough, we know this has happened.

10. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    don't hate the little mieces, it's not their fault :(

11. bullybeef

bullybeef Senior Member

North West, England, UK
    It has been said the meek would rule the world. They were wrong, it'll be the 'squeak'!! ;) :D

12. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    poor little mices, they are fellow sufferers. hate the disease, but the poor little critters don't want it or deserve it or mean to pass it on any more than we do.
    poor pookies

13. Robin

Robin Guest

Probably what happened is that there was a jump from mice to people at some point the virus adapted to live in a human host. If XMRV like HIV it is not carried by an animal host like plague or hantavirus; you have to get it from a person. So, while the mieces are likely to blame for the progenitor virus, you can rest assured that it probably gave them leukemia. :)

I have some questions for the smarties: XMRV is a slow replicator/low mutator, as Coffin said at CFSAC. Goff speculated that replication may not even be happening. Unlike HIV the strains are rather homogenous. This has been brought up as a criticism of the XMRV --> ME/CFS hypothesis (on certain science blogs that shall remain unnamed!)

So, what are the implications for treatment? AIDS drugs work by stopping replication. If XMRV doesn't replicate much, how can it be treated? I know this has been discussed before but I can't remember much about it, nor can I find the discussion.

Anyone want to give it a stab?

14. Cloud

Cloud Guest

"Drugs directed at preventing docking of XMRV to XPR-1 are also conceivable. However, before thoughtfully planned antiviral drug therapy clinical trials are started in patients with CFS and, potentially, prostate cancer, we must consider the potential risk of developing drug-resistant XMRV if single antiviral agents are used".

Indeed the main reason I would not throw anti retrovirals (especially just one) at xmrv at this point.

15. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

16. FernRhizome

FernRhizome Senior Member

I am posting this for another member who didn't want to post themselves and who pointed out the following:

I think the 'six strains' of XMRV mentioned are miscontextualized. As the quote from the paper explains, the author was talking about the six different XMRV isolates which have been fully sequenced which have shown 99% identity, which isn't really the same as there being six different strains of XMRV.

Does anyone know how to change the title of this thread? Should it be retitled Six Isolates rather than Six Strains? ~Fern

17. Dr. Yes

Dr. Yes Shame on You

Actually, the word "strains" is also used in the Science article, even in reference to two isolates that differ by only 6 nucleotides each from the prostate cancer strain VP62. (They call these "CFS XMRV strains 1106 and 1178".)

18. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    I don't know if my mind is just not working, but this seems like a lot of talk and thin on answers. So is it right that the only new info in this study is six strains (or whatever word you want to use)?

Otherwise, seems like he just raises lots of questions.

By the way, Dr. Yes, you beat me. I wondered where the 50% came from.

And was this guy trying to find indication of infection by looking in urine? Well, did he?

And did I see this guy is in allergy and asthma? So what's his connection to CFS? Why does he care?

I will say, he does seem to know a lot about biological abnormalities we have based on the questions he asks. But we already knew the questions and don't all the other researchers, I would think.

Tina

19. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

If this is the same guy that was looking at spinal fluid for various proteins in CFS, maybe he can go back and use those same samples and test from for evidence of XMRV infection?

20. serenity

serenity Senior Member

Austin
    thank you Kim for the 0 Mouse hate thread. :)
    i love love love all animals :)

See more popular forum discussions.