• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sitting/standing core muscle exercises for feeble people?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Actually, Youtube has some stuff if you search on standing (or sitting) core exercises but you have to go for the ones for seniors and even then, those seniors (probably in care homes) are tearing up the turf compared to what we can do :cry: and doing OI-inducing arms-over-head things :nervous: but the exercises look adaptable.
Sasha, watching that video (the one in the post your quote comes from) one added instruction comes to mind from my pilates experience. They show the woman seemingly just bending forward, but to work core muscles, it is important to lift up the chest (like someone is pulling you up by the hair :nervous:) and suck in your abs and hold them, before bending over. Otherwise you just "fold-up" over loose muscles.

Sushi

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Here's Part 1 of two videos containing some very gentle stretches. (I appreciate that they're not for core strengthening but worth doing.)

Part 1 - while sitting
Part 2 - while supine

SOC

@Scarecrow :p
"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isoceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy, rapture, I've got a brain. How can I ever thank you enough?"
Wait, did he actually say that? That's not true. How did I miss that all these years? The sum of the squares of the the legs of a right triangle equal the square of the hypoteneuse.

So he doesn't actually have a brain? Maybe he has ME and just got the words all mixed up? o_O

Or is the point that he got it all wrong? Maybe that's what I missed all these years. :p

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Wait, did he actually say that?
So he doesn't actually have a brain? Maybe he has ME and just got the words all mixed up? o_O

Or is the point that he got it all wrong? Maybe that's what I missed all these years. :p
Definitely signs of brain fog and an appalling memory but he does have a bit of common sense.

Status of brain: missing in action?

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
@SOC, @Scarecrow - I always thought this movie "error" was meant to show that simply earning a diploma does not make you smart. Also, this is all Dorothy's dream so it might reflect her incorrect memory of this theorem.

Alternatively, maybe geometry works differently in Oz? :D

Either way, it's unlikely that the writers would have made such an obvious mistake. (not just the wrong kind of triangle but adding up the square roots) And even if the writers made the error it probably would have been caught by someone during script revisions, filming, editing, etc.

Just for fun, here's a clip where Homer (The Simpsons) uses this quote:

Okay, sorry for the digression! Back to easy/minimal exercises for folks who have ME/CFS,

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Not quite yet. :D
"The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isoceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy, rapture, I've got a brain. How can I ever thank you enough?"
Having ME, I sat here rereading the quote without going on and reading what you had to say, and thinking "No, that cannot be right. It is a right triangle. Growing up on a farm, I have used it to make a square corner." :ill::redface:

Little Bluestem

OK, Now we can get back to exercise.

@Sasha, can you afford to consult a physical therapist for exercises that would be appropriate for you.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
OK, Now we can get back to exercise.

But that Homer Simpson thing made me laugh! :)

@Sasha, can you afford to consult a physical therapist for exercises that would be appropriate for you.

Yes, but I did that a few years ago for a back problem and found that they wore me out just demonstrating the exercises within the half-hour they were in my home! They wanted me to do several reps of each to make sure I was doing it right and to make sure I'd had a chance to learn them properly. And I can't remember how to do exercises from written instructions. By the time I'm able to re-attempt them (which can be several weeks after the physio, if I'm unlucky), I've forgotten everything. In fact, I've forgotten everything by the time they've left my flat. :( I really do need video.

And they really don't get the low, low level at which we have to operate, or understand about OI. I think there's more expertise among patients on this forum, TBH, until such time as I become more like a healthy person.

I managed to get out yesterday to see a local garden that was open to the public for the day, and I had to stay on the terrace and look down over the garden because I'd run out of steam just getting there and wouldn't have been able to get back up the slope, while the 80-year old woman who'd arrived at the same time and had had a hip replacement two months earlier was able to go and tour the whole thing... :cry:

SOC

I managed to get out yesterday to see a local garden that was open to the public for the day, and I had to stay on the terrace and look down over the garden because I'd run out of steam just getting there and wouldn't have been able to get back up the slope, while the 80-year old woman who'd arrived at the same time and had had a hip replacement two months earlier was able to go and tour the whole thing... :cry:
I think I'm coping pretty well emotionally with this damned disease until something like that happens to me. :cry:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think I'm coping pretty well emotionally with this damned disease until something like that happens to me. :cry:

This kind of crap has been happening to me (and I'm sure lots of us) since I was 25 years old.

This disease isn't for wimps, that's for sure.

Little Bluestem

And they really don't get the low, low level at which we have to operate, or understand about OI. I think there's more expertise among patients on this forum, TBH, until such time as I become more like a healthy person.
So they were not providing you with appropriate exercises. :mad:
In fact, I've forgotten everything by the time they've left my flat. :( I really do need video.
When you become more like a healthy person, is there someone who could come and video your session with the physical therapist?

ETA: This is a busy week, but may eventually be able to suggest a few easy exercises.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
So they were not providing you with appropriate exercises. :mad:

Well, they were, but I couldn't practice enough exercises or reps during the half hour to make it worthwhile and then I forgot most of what I'd learned. It wasn't the physio's fault: it was the disease's fault and my fault for not anticipating what would happen.

When you become more like a healthy person, is there someone who could come and video your session with the physical therapist?

I may never become more like a healthy person but even if I did, I wouldn't want to be videoed, for privacy reasons! :cool:

But the issue isn't that we need weird, special exercises that only ME people can do - it's that we need carefully selected exercises from those that already exist and we need videos of them being demonstrated so that we don't have to remember them or try to figure them out from written instructions.

Little Bluestem

and then I forgot most of what I'd learned.
My PT gives me computer produced instructions that have a little stick figure of the exercise (which may or may not be helpful), a description of the exercise, and blanks for him to fill in how long/how many, and how many time to repeat.
it's that we need carefully selected exercises from those that already exist
It doesn't sound like your PT did that.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
My PT gives me computer produced instructions that have a little stick figure of the exercise (which may or may not be helpful), a description of the exercise, and blanks for him to fill in how long/how many, and how many time to repeat.

It doesn't sound like your PT did that.

My PT gave me the little stick figures but that's not enough for me. My experience of physio is that they give you a ton of important advice about the exercise that they don't have on the instruction sheet.

And she did show me appropriate exercises - it was just that I couldn't do enough of them in the half hour she was with me, and couldn't remember the detail of how to do them properly afterwards.

Video! I need video!