• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sir Simon defends the newsletter. On Twitter

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
tuller.png

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I wanted to highlight his knighthood obtained for his work with patients with me/cfs (call it what you want)
As I understand it, the knighthood was for his work in getting pscyh treatment for PTSD for combat veterans. (Though my thought is they probably need medical treatment as well.) Still, nothing to do with ME unless some of those veterans were incompletely diagnosed. As I understand it, GWI for example, is quite similar to ME. And there's nothing that says you can't have both GWI and PTSD.

I doubt if Simon actually heard this, as I believe it was only posted here on PR
PR is for the most part open to the internet, and rates very highly on Google search engine. Anything said here, is easily available to KCL and QMUL. As well as to NIH.

Sean

It should be said that he went on to tweet that opposition to the trial would have had more of an effect than the newsletter.
Given that more patients from the APT and SMC arms than the CBT and GET arms took up the offer of post-trial CBT and GET, then they can hardly argue we biased the 2.5 year outcome against CBT and GET.

They seem to want to argue two contradictory claims: that we biased the 2.5 year outcome against CBT and GET, and that the better results for the APT and SMC arms may have resulted from those patients taking up the post-trial CBT and GET offer.

Both can't be true.

Kati

Patient in training
Given that more patients from the APT and SMC arms than the CBT and GET arms took up the offer of post-trial CBT and GET, then they can hardly argue we biased the 2.5 year outcome against CBT and GET.

They seem to want to argue two contradictory claims: that we biased the 2.5 year outcome against CBT and GET, and that the better results for the APT and SMC arms may have resulted from those patients taking up the post-trial CBT and GET offer.

Both can't be true.
You have to return to the basics of the trial, what population were they studying? Patients who had fatigue for 6months or more. They thought they compared apples with apples, but in fact they had a fruit salad. A decade after the trial, they still think they are comparing apples and they keep returning to their fruit salad cohort pretending they deal with apples.

They have played the system so well, for all those years, you know, the medical lobby, the psych lobby, the governments, the insurance company, the media. Everyone (well, just about but not all) is so convinced they are so brilliant. But that is about to change.

Ecoclimber

Well, I might be one of the exceptions concerning what 'they' call abuse. I have no sympathies for this cabal. They knew what they were doing. They have received accolades, promoted to positions of power and prestige affecting social policy within the UK and elsewhere, are well compensated both publically and privately. They are expert spinmeisters and propagandists utilizing the well-oiled PR machinery of SMC to twists and distort the facts by making ill-founded disparaging remarks concerning the patient population to gain media sympathy. The psych researchers are not victims but are the ones who demonize the patient population for their recalcitrant behavior for not accepting their 'woo woo science' based on the researcher's lack of full disclosure and the failure to perform a double blinded, replication study based on proper scientific methodolgy which is the norm in all scientific endeavors. The playing field is stacked against the patients.

The researchers claim abuse. What abuse? You know what real abuse is? Real abuse is allowing hundreds of thousands of UK ME patients to live in squalor, sectioned off, sent to psych wards, living in social isolation, allowed to die after decades of debilitating pain and medical neglect, demeaned, marginalized, defamed, and held in contempt by the very medical profession these patients depend on due to the unethical and unscientific manipulation of data and the adverse propaganda promoted over the last few decades. Now the light is being shine on these rats and they are all scurrying into the darkness. Even under the FOIA, they call such requests, 'vexations'...give me a break. I have no sympathies for these individuals who insist on demonizing the very patients in the media they are called on to serve. Their purpose is to inflame public opinion and incite trolls against earmarking funding for medical research as well as providing funding for adequate patient benefits...just read the comment sections in the media. I can't believe they have such fragile egos. Hmm...If you can't stand the heat, then get the hell out of the kitchen!

Already it has been reported in the press that the United Nations commission is leading an UK investigation in violation of U.N. charter against basic decent rights for the disabled. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/un-to-probe-the-uks-deadly-disability-cuts.40482/

False Ilness Belief.jpg

Last edited:

barbc56

If everyone piles in then it will just be a wall of noise, and he'll simply stop interacting. Nothing will be gained. Just my opinion of course.

Yes! I think he's more likely to respond to scientists.

ROTFLOL!

OMG, he's already gotten to the "I don't remember saying that. I have to go now" stage! Asked the tough questions, he cuts and runs. :thumbsup:
My bold.

I know the feeling!

Large Donner

MEmilitant ‏@MEMilitant1
@WesselyS @julierehmeyer @TheLancetPsych @guardianopinion You wrote critically of CBT for 'accepting' vs your 'overcoming disability' in 95.

Simon Wessely– ‏@WesselyS
upload_2015-11-1_22-16-59.gif

@MEMilitant1 @julierehmeyer I can't remember what I said yesterday let alone 20 years ago. Anyway, have to do a clinic now. Take care.

Although I don't really understand the first comment the obvious response to Wesselys comment is "so you don't ever know what you are talking about"?

Shocking he can say he cant remember what he said yesterday yet has so much influence. Is this him admitting he is making it up as he goes along?

SOC

He's gone into affable absent-minded professor mode, whilst continuing to frantically plot and scheme behind the scenes.
It's getting more and more clear how much the guy is all artificial -- everything is an act. He puts on whatever persona he thinks will get him the most benefit in the particular situation.