• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sinusitis Linked to Microbial Diversity

Interesting study. We know that the Human Microbiome plays a very important role for human health. It would be very nice to see some working treatments in this direction but as long as entry barriers are kept so high through FDA, there will not be companies or scientists who actually try to develop new treatments based on those latest findings. The easiest way to find out if something works, would be to create 50 nasal sprays, each containing one or a few strains of healthy nasal bacteria (this shouldn't be hard to do). Patients, who would like to take the risk, now could try each spray and through trial and error, find what works best for them.

If you want to go the way of the FDA, we either wait till we have working quantum computers in some decades or we spend millions of dollars on phase - 1, 2, 3 - trials where maybe one or two strains are tested. After 8 to 10 years, you know if the treatment actually works. Chances that no company developes any spray at all, are high too, because it's just too expensive.

And the fundamental problem remains. What is causing this imbalance and how can you resolve it? If the cause of this imbalance is an infection or an autoimmune disease, you will not cure it by taking probiotics. There are many PWCs who don't tolerate probiotics or get weird reactions. Moreover, if there was one single treatment, that would work for many PWCs and is prescription free, I can guarantee you, that we would have found it by now because PWCs invest billions of dollars into supplements (because this is the only way to take matters in your own hands, when doctors leave you alone).

Likely we'll see sprays on the market soon if there are more studies like this. I do hope that more inroads are made in bacterial transplant therapies (fecal or otherwise), as I think it's probably the best bet for establishing the most balanced and diverse flora.