• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Singer Alice-Ella ME sufferer on First Dates

slysaint

just looked her up:
this is her blog "A blog all about M.E. my life, Crohn's, my career in music, depression, cats... you get the gist ;)"
http://aliceellablog.tumblr.com/
"
So I got really sick. Like a really bad flu. I didn’t think anything of it until I just kept not getting better. All my flu symptoms eventually went - the fevers, the snot (nice), the coughing etc but I just wasn’t feeling better like you usually would.

Weeks would go by and I just didn’t feel well enough to go back to school. I was getting so miserable, missing my friends etc so much that I kept trying to force myself to go. I’d manage go in for the odd day and end up being sent home a few hours later. I could hardly keep my eyes open.

My Mum had obviously written to the teachers and explained the situation but most of them were bloody horrible. I remember once calling my mum in tears asking her to come and pick me up and one of my Science teachers saw me on the phone and started shouting at me and took my phone off me. I explained I was calling my Mum cos I felt so ill but he didn’t give a shit and made me go back to class.

I had letters excluding me from having to do P.E. saying how exhausted I was and could I please not be made to get changed into my P.E. kit (not sure why they always made you when you weren’t even doing it) but they still made me."
"
A new friend of mine asked me just yesterday ‘So what is M.E?’ and I found it so hard to explain- I just told him it’s a real struggle with fatigue, and doing little things feels like doing really big things and how I was in a wheelchair for years and had a stairlift put in my house and couldn’t walk, talk, or even watch tele for years….. but then it’s like ‘oh so you’re better now then?’ And it’s like…. Yea I am SO much better than I was…. But man how I feel day to day is naaaat ok!!
But having said that, I think that what I have to do is to somehow learn to be happy with a day to day life at home, just pottering around the house. A day to day life of just making lunches and dinners for myself and watching tele series’ and then somehow being able to think of anything else that I can do on top of that as a bonus."

this is her debut single:

and her website:
https://www.aliceella.co.uk/

good opportunity to 'plug' PR on her FB page
https://www.facebook.com/AliceEllaMusic

sarah darwins

A new friend of mine asked me just yesterday ‘So what is M.E?’ and I found it so hard to explain- I just told him it’s a real struggle with fatigue, and doing little things feels like doing really big things and how I was in a wheelchair for years and had a stairlift put in my house and couldn’t walk, talk, or even watch tele for years….. but then it’s like ‘oh so you’re better now then?’ And it’s like…. Yea I am SO much better than I was…. But man how I feel day to day is naaaat ok!!

But having said that, I think that what I have to do is to somehow learn to be happy with a day to day life at home, just pottering around the house. A day to day life of just making lunches and dinners for myself and watching tele series’ and then somehow being able to think of anything else that I can do on top of that as a bonus."

That's a pretty great description of moderate ME in the last paragraph, isn't it. And a pretty great description of what "recovery" through pacing looks like. A lot of us can relate. I was never as severe as her, but I've had the same "improvements" to the point where I'm mostly okay as long as I don't actually DO anything.

slysaint

Sh** just saw this on AfMEs FB page:

"Alice has had M.E. since she was 14, and is progressing along the road to recovery. Now working on her debut album, this London-based singer songwriter takes a collection for Action for M.E. at every gig, and we are chuffed to bits to be the charity Alice has chosen to support."

eta: did a bit more checking and she also donated 10% of money raised from her debut single to MEA.........so I'm not sure that this statement from AfME is accurate(so what's newo_O).

Last edited: