• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simplified Methylation Protocol with MTHFR A1298C

Hi all,

I'm not sure I've ever posted here, but I've been a long-time occasional reader. I've had CFS for 7 years, and am mostly better (can work 3-4 days/wk and have a life) but am trying for that last bit to full health.

I recently discovered that I am homozygous for MTHFR A1298C. I would like to try Rich's Simplified Methylation Protocol. What I am wondering is what adjustments do I need to make for my MTHFR variant? Do I need more methylfolate? And will Inbe able to tolerate folinic acid?

This whole methylation business is terribly complicated, with so many different opinions! I feel like I am about to dive down the rabbit hole ... I figure I'll start with the above and then make it more complicated (e.g. 23andme test, Freddd's protocol) if necessary.

Thanks for any help,
Garth

Critterina

Garth,
I have that variant, but I don't have CFS. What I found was that folinic acid was very unhelpful and made it hard to stay awake. Folate, in contrast, helps to remove cynicism and depression.
There are different theories about how/why it works, but the consensus seems to be that folate, not folinic acid, is what to use for the MTHFR A1298C. My experience confirms it for me.
Good luck with whatever you choose.